New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: HR handy rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are you actually refering to the H&R or the NEF singles? I have an NEF in 45/70 and am kind of partial to it. The only H&R I ever tried was in 58 minie and that was a lot of fun. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry8mm..there is no need t ream out the 357 barrel to 357 Max.just ask the folks at H&R to send you a barrel in the max. I believe they still have some in stock. I got one about a year ago. You will need to send your frame in to have the barrels fitted to it...that is their policy I believe.

shortgun

Posts: 147 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several: A .35 Whelen in the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation edition, a .243, 30/30, and a .357 Mag. that is being rechambered to .357 Max.

Great little gun for the price, light and accurate enough to boot. Triggers are a little heavy but you can send it back for a trigger job. You can order different barrels for the same reciever and there is starting to be more gunsmiths that will rechamber then. Don't go with any high pressure loads though, the action won't take it.

Posts: 361 | Location: Valdez, AK (aka Heaven) | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
I have a NEF in .280 that is a good shooter since I did some trigger work. There is a Yahoo group forum decicated just to the NEF. Here is a link that I found on the Yahoo forum, that shows detailed info on doing the trigger work.
NEF trigger link

Nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote