Notify
Tools

Pedersoli 1874 Sharps
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted
Today, I did it!
I ordered a Pedersoli Sharps "Boss" in .45-70.
After a long seach about a Shilo Sharps ( the first rifle I get offered was a .40-65 in 1993, but the seller raised the price from 3600.- DM in one week to 6000.-DM), I choose the cheaper riflemaker. In germany, a Shilo with the same features like the Pedersoli costs 3000.- to 4000.- €, and you must wait a few years to get it. Mad
But now I´m pleased to get my first new rifle, after a break about 3 years.
I can not expect to shot with it, with my third .45-70 rifle. Big Grin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Pics please!

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, good choice!

The guvmut paid for mine in 50/90 because they said that I could not have any nasty short barrelled pistols and gave me lots of nmoney to hand them in.

Meanest muthwer in the stable and shoots well with 650gn Paul Jones bullet!

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Shot my new rifle today. jumping At 100m 1" group with 300grs HP. 2" with 330grs Gould HP.
Next time I will test 525grs RCBS FN.
At the moment, I´m happy to bought it, it was the right decision. thumb
(Pic´s following.)

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Happiness is a warm 45-70 ! Congradulations ! clap

One of Us
Picture of brasskeeper
posted Hide Post
Gotta love the 45-70 clap

Posts: 135 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of "JB"
posted Hide Post
Gotta love the 45-70.... I also have a 45-90, dang you just can't ever go wrong cheers

"JB"

Posts: 31 | Location: NW Montana in grizzly country | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a Sharps reproduction in the shop calling my name. 54 cal. paper cartridge, black powder. Breech load makes it not legal for "black powder" hunting season, but it looks like fun.

I think it's a Pedersoli. I try not to dwell on it for fear it will follow me home. (And the down-side is???)

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Big Bore
What's the reaction of your fellow shooters to the Sharps? Considering the German heritage of cutting edge fine gun making, the Sharps must be a curiousity.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Arkypete,
the fellows who saw the sharps, were enthusiastic. In southern Bavaria there only a handfull of marksman, who´re owning a Sharps rifle and I know only 2 shooters who´re owning a Shilo Sharps.
To the German heritage of fine gun making I mean, do you know the Blaser R93, D99 or the new Mauser M03?
Rifles made by an CNC machine and mounted from an precision engineer, rifles never saw an gunsmith?
Here in Germany are only a few gunsmiths and gun producers who´re making fine guns, like Krieghoff, Heym and Johannsen.
The Pedersoli sharps or a new M1886 are also made by CNC machines, but they looking better as all the new Blaser´s and the other toy´s.
Sometimes, I shoot better with my "old" rifles, as an hunter with his new high tech rifle and scope at 100m.

Martin

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Big Bore
My experience with German firearms was based on the immortal Mauser 98, Luger, p-38, Walthers of various types, Pk, PPk, P-38, the 22 target pistols, the Mauser 3000. None of the newer specie of bolt guns. I was taken with the Mauser 88, the short bolt, interchangable barrel gun. Never could afford one.
I would venture that bolt guns reached perfection with the 98.
My father brought back a K-98 from the steps of the Cathedral in Cologn, a 22 rim fire single shot Mauser from Cologn and a Walther PPK from Bastogn (sp)/ St. Vith area.

How is the supply of reloading compoments in Germany? I see that you are using cast bullets from RCBS molds, is the lead supply ample?
May I suggest that you give the Lyman 500 grain bullet {457125} a try. The one bullet that I've used hundreds maybe thousands of times is Lyman's 445 grain gas checked {457102}. I used the 500 grain for a few years but with heavy charges IMR 4064 it beat the devil out of me in my 45-70 bolt gun, a 98 Mauser design for rimmed cases. The 445 grain bullet had the same trajectory but didn't beat up the shooter. I use the 445 grain bullet in both of my 45-70 rifles, my second rifle is a Winchester 1886 take down.
For off hand target shooting I use a 350 grain Redding gas checked design.
Have fun and any help I can offer please ask.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for help Arkypete.
The supply with reloading components in Germany is bad. The most things like bullets and moulds coming from USA and all things from USA have long deliverytime.
For example, I ordered bullets for my .45ACP, 10,75x68 and .50AE in spring ´06 by Johannsen ( riflemaker and importer for reloading supplys)and I don´t get it to this day.
With lead it´s a problem in Europe. The wheelweights aren´t made about lead. Lead is the devil! Next year it´s forbidden to shoot with leadshot at hunting by lakes and rivers. In a few country´s in good Germany you can only hunt with the new leadless rifleammunition.
In the electonic industry the electonic parts must be leadless.
The future will be great for as marksmen. Roll Eyes

Martin

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Martin
Don't know if it's desirable, if you need something from across the pond let me know and I can buy it here and ship it over.
The lead supply here in Virginia is pretty good. My friends and I laid in 2.5 to 3 tons of wheel weights, several hundred pounds of linotype and, lord only knows, how much sheet lead.
Living in Richmond, Virginia the capital of the former Confederacy, we are prone to ignoring what we consider dumb laws. This out look on life goes all the way up to the governor's office.
If there's anything I can help with let me know.
Jim

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jim.
At the moment I´m testing the ordering by Midway.com. The last time I must wait 4 weeks, the time before I waite 2 month.
In November I have a new quantity to order, books and bullets, and I will see.
But only one question I have. I can´t find the Lyman 445 grain gas checked {457102} mould in the currend catalogue? Is it out of production or is it the 475grs. GC mould?

Martin

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Martin

But only one question I have. I can´t find the Lyman 445 grain gas checked {457102} mould in the currend catalogue? Is it out of production or is it the 475grs. GC mould?

It's been out of production for a lot of years but I have seen them on Ebay.
Keep showing those fellows shooting the super duper bolt guns how to shoot with the Sharps, of yours.
If I can be of any help just let me know.
Any machinest in Germany that could make a mold for you? I could send several of the 445 grain bullets for them to use as a pattern.
Jim

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Martin: I have had two of the Pedersoli Sharps rifles, one in .45-70 and one in .40-65. I'm currently on the waiting list for a Shiloh, but I may go back to a Pedersoli as the barrels cannot be beaten for accuracy at any reasonable price. You might want to look up Dick Trenk on the MSN BPCR board, as he has been involved in developing the Pedersoli "Victory Mould" bullet specifically suited to the Pedersoli chamber and throat.
Bill

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
If a German machinest make a custom mould for me, I can buy the whole assortment of Lyman mould´s in .458. Big Grin
Next time, I will order and test some finished lead bullets, 300grs and 475grs with gas check and the 535grs Postell. I found it by Midway and then I will decide what for a mould I will buy.
Today I shoot the 330grs Gould and the 500grs RCBS at 100m and the better was the Gould with a first 1" group. The second measured 2" without one flyer and the RCBS 3". ( 3-shoot, 10-shoot and 5-shoot)
Thanks to all and if I have more pic´s, I will post it.

Martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Martin,
The US mass market mould manufacturers tend to produce moulds that are on the small side. However your results with the Gould mould are excellent.
There are several US custom mould manufacturers that you might check out.
I suspect that you will likely get one that works right the first time from one of these small shops. They might not be as expensive as your German machinist.

NEI
Brooks
Paul Jones
Mountain Moulds (he is in the process of moving)

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Ireload
I can vouch for Mountain molds. He's made me to wonderful molds. A 208 grain for my lever action 30-06 and a 350 grain mold for my 405 Winchester.
NEI has made some delightful four cavity molds for my 45 Colt, 255 grain, a 230 grain for 44 special, a two cavity 95 grain for a 243, and a wonderful 300 grain round nose for a 375.
None of these molds would be out of place in a burgundy velvet box for display.
Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Arky,
I am waiting for Mountain Molds to get back to work so I can order a 40 caliber rifle mold.
He has the easiest system to copy a known good bullet and get the diameter that you want.

Ed

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Hey fans,
I have so much fun with my sharps. Here´s a group of five 535grs Postell bullets @100m. The load was 27grs of Vit. N110.
jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, Great shooting Martin...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try some FFG black and a nice Paul Jones 540gn bullet

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Ass Wallace:
Try some FFG black and a nice Paul Jones 540gn bullet

Sorry, it´s not allowed to shoot black powder at my indoor shooting range. The only outdoor range I know, is by the air force in the near. But the max. round we´re allowed to use , is the 7,62x51 or the 8x57IS with FMJ ammo. Roll Eyes
So I haven´t any experience with black powder cartridges.

Martin

Picture of tikkathree
posted Hide Post
brasskeeper:

Please contact me by private message if so you desire concerning your avatar: the sq & c are important to me.
S&F

Posts: 6 | Location: Merrie England | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tikkathree:
brasskeeper:
Please contact me by private message if so you desire concerning your avatar: the sq & c are important to me.
S&F

AND OBVIOUSLY HAS A GRANDMOTHER!

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, I get my Lyman mould, a 475grs GC Snover and tomorrow I will cast the first bullets. I hope; they will fly as good as the Postell.
Here´s a better picture.

Martin

One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
I like the Postell and the Spitzer out of mine. They both shoot well.

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote