New
Find
Notify
Tools

single shot speed loading
 Login/Join

<waldog>
posted
A new guy was in elk camp this year. He was a buddy of the guy who couldn't make it that came to fill his space. Anyhow, besides being a fine fellow to have in camp, this chap was an old, well seasoned african hunter. He spent about 7 years on the dark continent sometime in the 70's and was full of stories and some BS too. Well, as you might expect he favored larger calibers. His elk rifle of choice was a Ruger #1 375 H&H. He lovingly called it his varmint rifle. Anyway, he had one of those elastic buttstock Uncle Mike's shell holders. Except, he wore it on his left arm! Claimed he could load and shoot about as fast as a bolt action.

I've seen cartridge wrist bands made by the likes of Thompson Center and they've always seemed like a good idea. I want to know, anyone else do this?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used a wrist brace that fit snugly with cartridges in it and that works okay, but the cartridges seem to move around a little and aren't always where you expect them to be. Lately, if I'm stalking an animal that's aware of my presence, I put two cartridges between the fingers in my left hand (I'm right handed), similar to folks that use double rifles. That's just as quick and there's no shuffling around of the cartridges.

If an animal is undisturbed and conditions are right, I don't bother. It's only after sneaking up on an animal that knows something is up do I allow for multiple shots.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Bore Bob>
posted
I've tried the arm band, and the buttstock mount. Both are were effective for me, but both create the same dilema... I actually shoot from either hand with my Rugers.

(A little background) I am right handed, but some years ago I switch to shooting left handed (the dominant left eye thing). Thats when I actually discovered the virtues of the Ruger #1's, and the passion grew from there. But anyway, if I have the time (at the bench or, can set up my shot) I will definitely shoot lefty... but, if I'm hunting from a stationary location, I will shoot with either hand, dependant on which side the game is on.

So... this brought about the need for a little ingenuity. I rigged up a little two cartridge holder with some elastic straps (similar to one of those binocular harness's) that I wear high on the center of my chest. It does provide quick and close access to my next two shells, and is equally accessable for shooting either way.

Just a thought.

Oh, by the way, it works really well in theory and when I practice blowing off ammo... but I've never actually needed that 2nd shot in the field.

I like to think it's skill, but if were honest it's a lotta luck too...

<bolden>
posted
I use the Uncle Mike's elastic holders on both my Ruger(6mm) and my NEF(45-70). The only thing I do different is to cut them down to hold only 3 cartridges; actually 2 since one of them goes in the chamber. After cutting them, I re-stitch them with the same waxed linen thread I use to make knife sheaths. By positioning them back far enough so the rear swivel post goes through the bottom of the holder, they stay pretty much in place. Not pretty, I take them off after hunting season, but last year I shot a Buck and a doe within about 20 seconds of eachother with the NEF. Those breakopens do allow for fast reloading.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used a similar setup with my 45-70 Sharps but used a "period-correct" canvas-and-leather one from Dixie Gunworks. Works O.Ok. over a heavier jacket but does not fit tightly enough on lighter wear. Think I will definitely try the elastic band mentioned above; should be just the ticket.

I was just reading Boddington's book on African game rifles last night and he referred to this general idea as being quite workable and, with practice, to be almost as quick as a bolt on follow-up shots.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Blaser K95 break-open single shot and keep tw cartridges in a "fast access pouch" (it�s what Blaser calls it) on the forend.

This is the link:

http://www.blaser.de/english/produkte/accessories/blitzetui.htm

It�s an inexpensive leather cartridge holder, it fastens with velcro to your arm or the forend of the rifle. On my gun they ride an inch in front of the chamber opening, so I just open the rifle with the top lever, eject the spent case with my finger nail and draw a new shell from the pouch and push it into the chamber. I�ve timed the reloading sequence starting from the first shot and until I�m back on the target with a new round in the chamber to three seconds. Fast enough, but can probably be done faster with more practice.

Tron

Posts: 210 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the arm shell holder when hunting with my Encore handgun and My Encore Rifle. I guess they work good but so far I have not needed a quick second shot. I was taught that if you put the first shot in the old boiler room you don't really have to worry much about a second shot. [Big Grin]

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
For quick reloads I use the method of two in the hand holding the forearm, between the index, middle, and ring fingers. Always there and I know exactly where they are.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of Ruger No1s in some heavy chamberings, and have used them on Dangerous game in Africa, and Alaska. This justifies the need for a fast follow up shot on occasion!

I use the "BETWEEN THE FINGERS" method, but I put only one round between the fore, and second finger, rim up, bullet hanging down. I find two cartridges between the fingers henders the reload process. On my belt, however, I carry two rounds in what is called a "DOUBLE DUTY" sold by Trader Kieths. This lettle gadgit is simply a henged two shot cartridge box. When it is opened by the left hand it drops two rounds in the palm of the left hand. I only put one round in this box,when I use it for a No1, it is made for a double rifle. Trader Keith Number is 1-800-338-3146, for a free catalog. They also have a canvass culling belt, that is a fine piece of equipment, as well! The're a little pricey but good stuff! [Cool]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<PrarieRat>
posted
I shoot a H&R Ultra in .308 for deer, coyotes, snappers, and other targets of opportunity. I tried the 'two between the fingers' and it just didn't work for me. I now use an Uncle Mikes 9 shot band designed to be on the butt of the rifle but wear it on my right wrist/forearm (I'm right-handed) with the shells sticking out of the webbing as far as I dare and opposed, (5 facing me and 4 facing away)

It took a little practice to train my left hand to snatch a cartridge while my right was dropping the barrel latch and slap it in but I can reload fast enough that the fact that I use a sngle doesn't bother me at all and it has almost become a reflex action when I pull the trigger.

One note of caution to you H&R and NEF owners is to not drop the barrel too hard or you'll wallow out the stops on the lower end of the reciever, I've seen this on several gun show and pawnshop rifles.

Isn't is interesting how fast your head learns to get out of the way of a hot, fired case automaticly after taking only a few bonks in the nose? [Big Grin]

PR

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the two rounds between the fingers while shooting my Ruger #1. I always seemed to be dropping them, since hunting in Saskatchewan in November can be a bit cold so I'm usually wearing gloves. So now the Uncle Mikes wrist holder is used except when going through really thick forest. The cartridges just seem to hang up on every small branch in the forest. One spare goes into my right hand (I'm left handed). This seems to do the trick, although I have seldom needed a second quick shot. Nothing focuses the mind like only having one shot.

Posts: 71 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
trb

How do you like your Blaser? What caliber? I was looking at a .30 Blaser but know no one who has used one in Hunting.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mickey

I love my Blaser K95. It fits me very well, good stock, excellent trigger, nice scope mount. My rig is a 7RM, very accurate. The reason I bought it, besides that I love the way it looks, is that it is very light, 7 pounds scoped (S & B 3-12x42) and loaded, short even with a 25.5 inch barrel and that it brakes down like a shotgun for traveling or to carry in a backpack. I�ve hunted with it this season in very steep mountain terrain and shot a few deer, red stag and reindeer, works just perfect for me. Reloading is easy �cause the action opens so swiftly and noiselessly. And its a safe gun too, uncocked until you want to fire your shot. For carrying/hauling game I�ve taken the rifle apart and put in a small backpack to protect the gun and have both hands free. I have shot several three shot groups less than 1 moa whre the rifle has been taken apart/scope detached between each shot, so I know dismantling does not affect zero. The action is some kind of aluminium alloy and the barrel has a totaly rustproof and very scratch resistant "hightech" finish, so I don�t worry about rain. (If I did I couldn�t hunt here in Norway)

The .30 R Blaser calibre is gaining som popularity in europe for break open guns, like the single shot "Kiplaufs" or drillings, double rifles etc. Ballistically its between the .30-06 and the big thirthies, about the same as factory .300 H & H�s? I have read a favourable field report in a Norwegian gun magazine, they got very good accuracy with both light and heavy bullets and velocities like the forementioned .300. I like the 7RM, I can shoot my K95 well offhand, sitting etc. With more recoil I think long range shots would be more difficult. I have no problems with the ekstactor and the rimless case, so in my opinion you can choose a .30-06 or a .270 in this rifle without ekstractor/reloading problems. You can also buy as many barrels for the K95 as you want , but they are �bout 1100 usd each here in Norway so it doesn�t make the rifle a bargain.

I can�t see how you will ever regret getting a k95, its a petite, fast handling, accurate rifle with a "custom gun" finish and truly functional attributes.

Tron

Posts: 210 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the shell holder that fits over the rear stock of my rifles. I've never tried the wrist style of shell holder, but it does sound interesting.
With my NEF 45-70, I've tried the 'finger hold' like the Double rifle shooters use, holdong one round between the fingers, and it works quite fast.
~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote