Find
Notify
Tools

Rolling Block Action???????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted
I purchased a small rolling block action and I really mean small. It is obviously for a .22 rimfire takedown. I have only the action which is not marked with so much as a single character or number anywhere. The triggerguard is part of the frame and is not removable. The hammer and rolling block pivots are actually screws and not pins as on the larger actions. There is no strap to hold the pins in place since they are screws. The extractor/ejector is a half moon piece below the firing pin. The action has NO tangs. The rear of the action has a round boss that protrude approximately 1/2" and is tapped I assume for a throughbolt. The boss goes inside the frame and is held in place by a pin. The Barrel is a slip fit into the frame and I assume has a half circle in bottom for the pin to hold in place. The pin goes thru the frame from the right side and is threaded with a left hand thread, the pin is attached to a lever on the right side. There is a small hole just below the pin that I assume held a stop to limit the travel of the lever. I assume the forearn has a small boss of wood that goes into a hole in front of the action and is held to barrel by a screw thru the forearm into the barrel. The action is maybe 4" long and 5/8"-3/4" thick. I would include pictures but when I bought it I just left it at the shop to be barreled. I'm going to barrel for .22LR and then see about stocking it and maybe an old style straight tube scope if I can find one and mounts. Had no real reason to buy it, didn't need it, (it was just so cute that's the only word that fits) so I bought now I'm stuck with it. What I need to know is if it's a Remington what number is it, if not what could it be. I also need to find somewhere to get a turned semi inlet blank for it. ANY information would be appreciated. Don't know why I seem to start these dumb ass projects.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's a #4 we have a consignment gun in the shop, and the owner has been let us use his consignments for stock duplication/pattern making. If it matches, we could dup you a stock for $100, tight grain black walnut, more for higher grades of wood.
email me with a photo and we'll see.
walt@buckmountainrifleworks.com

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Buckmt,
Does your gun have a top tang? My understanding is the No4 does mine does not. That is a good deal otherwise and I would take you up on it if it is the same action. I will try and get pics but the action is not easily available at present.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's got a top tang.
Get some photos and we'll see if we can help.
We restored this one and if you'll email me I'll send you some photos.
Walt

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
My dad (Darwin Hensley) is building a very small rolling block into a take down gun. It's a really cute little gun that he is building for my mother. It has been built into a long barreled pistol. The barrel is a 20 gauge damascus shotgun tube that has been sleeved to 17 cal. He is making a stock that attaches to the grip of the pistol to make a rifle. Mom picked out a piece of turkish walnut that is filled with burl for the butt stock. It's going to make a real nice custom gun. I imagine it will get some fairly nice engraving too but I don't know the plan yet.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it to give your imagination something to run with.

Trez

Hensley and Hensley Gun Works

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker
Curious about who Jesus is? Click hereChristianity-or- contact me

Posts: 485 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Trez,
That sounds like a great rifle. I plan on doing this one probably for my Great-Grandson who is 6 now. I have a couple of good pieces of wood but don't know yet if I want to build a utility or presentation piece. I've found the scope to use it's a Malcolm reproduction 3X,17" long and modern optics. Around $275 with mounts. If someone made small hook butplates I would build a small Scheutzen. I don't want to have to cast and finish a buttplate so that won't happen I know. It's a neat little action, I just don't know what it is. I thought it might have been a pistol but it has NO tangs, top or bottom and doesn't have the hump at the top like a pistol has. No real problem to stock just have to drill the thru hole for the retaining bolt.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe,
Is the butt plate you are looking for similar to the one I used on the top rifle when I built this stock?

If so, go to:
https://www.jedediah-starr.com/default.htm

Under the title "accessories" -----"butt plates"
you will find these as
part # 6-296 Iron Winchester Swiss Butt Plate $25.50

You won't have to cast it but you will need to finish it. They also have the more traditional Scheutzen plate with the long hook.

As for the tangs, dad had to weld tangs onto his action, it was not made as a pistol. It was a #2 size with the curved back edge.
Trez

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Trez,
Thanks millions that is precisely what I was talking about.
Ken

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trez:

You are my Hero!

That Jedidiah Starr outfit has the Winchester Laudensack buttplate I have been looking for! Thanks!

Glenn Fewless

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Awwwww Shucks Twernt nuthin.

Actually these were a pain to find. Glad I could save someone the trouble.
Trez

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Is this the type of action to which you are referrin g?

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Yes that is a rolling block take down but it has a top tang which mine does NOT have.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS