THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Browning B78s any thoughts you might want to share?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning B78s any thoughts you might want to share?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I ran across a Browning B78 in 25-06 that was for sale the other day. Looked like a nicely used rifle. Just a couple of marks on the stock, nothing that a refinish job would not fix. I know that the 25-06 makes a good deer round and that would be nice to pick this one up for that but is there anything I should be aware of before I do that?

Thanks for the help! Jay

Posts: 241 | Location: Grand Rapids, Mi, usa | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone on another thread said Browning has stopped making the model 1885. So that B78 may become a collector's item. I don't think they ever made the 1885 in 25-06. You're right, it is a good deer caliber.

[Smile] What the hell, go ahead and buy it. It can't hurt. [Smile]

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
A limited number of Browning 1885s were made as a Wyoming Centennial model in 25-06. They have gold inlays and 30 inch octagon bbls and are not easy to find cheap. I passed on a B78 25-06 HB for $250 in 1984 and have been kicking myself ever since. If you can get it reasonable and you think you might ever want one get it. Have the trigger checked to be sure some body has not messed with it.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle is in my safe as I type. The bore looked fantastic the stock has some marks but I can take care of those. $400.00? Did I do good?

[Wink] Jay

Posts: 241 | Location: Grand Rapids, Mi, usa | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It didn't take much arm-twisting for you to run right out and buy it. [Big Grin]

$400 was probably half price. You won't lose money on that rifle. How IS the trigger?

I sent my 22-250 1885 back to Arnold, Mo and they did a fantastic job on the trigger when nobody would touch it around these parts. Well out of warranty...and still N/C. The best there is!!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The trigger is nice, very nice. Its better than my 1885 22 hornet. This should make a nice back up deer rifle. I was thinking of looking for a leupold scope for it too.

Oh and no, not much arm twisting here! [Smile]

Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DEPUTY450:
The trigger is nice, very nice. Its better than my 1885 22 hornet. This should make a nice back up deer rifle. I was thinking of looking for a leupold scope for it too.

Oh and no, not much arm twisting here! [Smile]

Jay

No doubt the best smith to fix a Browning version of the Winchester singleshot is Lee Shaver in Missouri. Quite reasonable too. He has done dozens, if not hundreds of the BPCR version as well as the Lowwall also.

There is a home brew fix by Dale McGee, but I'm not sure I can describe it adequately, so I'll pass, but knock around Shooters.com on the Schuetzen board to find him.

I can't find his website right now, and have to run, but anyone interested can email me at brentd@iastate.edu and I'll get his email for you.

Lee is a first rate singleshot smith.
Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This should make a nice back up deer rifle.
Uh Oh. That doesn't sound promising for the B-78.
What's it gonna take a back seat to?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well....

I have a 700 LSS Remington Mountain Rifle in .270 Winchester. It is set up with a Fox River break, Timney trigger, Leupold scope (Veri-X III 2.5-8) in stainless with stainless mounts and rings....

I like to have a back up when I am on long hunting trips. An old friend of the family said that for years. My wife says thats just an excuse to by more guns. She is right but I'll never tell her that! [Wink]

Cheers! Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay,

Where's the challenge in a bolt action repeater?

I'd be itching to use that 25-06 single shot on Michigan whitetails.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Deputy you have obviously taken unfair advantage toward one of our fellow human beings. That is far below market value and I realize you will be unable to sleep being racked with guilt and all. So from one Michigander to another I'll give you $450 for the gun to ease your troubled mind. [Big Grin]
I have no problems sleeping incase your concerned.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And now for the rest of the story....

Date line Grand Rapids... After the young and good looking deputy took the Browning home he decided to strip the finish off of the stock and forend.... The first step was to remove the recoil pad. The deputy discovered that the top screw had been stripped. [Confused] Page Two... after the finished was removed the young and good looking deputy discovered that the stock had been cracked and repaired. Further investigation indicated that there was a piece of wood broken off and not repaired correctly.

Page Three... Now the Deputy faced yet another challange... It seems that finish stripper has an effect on plastic grip caps... It disolves them [Mad] .

Yes that was my Sunday... At least the forend and the action are in nice shape. I am going to get with a local gunsmith that knows his stuff and see if he can help me out. I found a piece of Gaboon Ebony at a place called Wood Source. I will use that to replace the crappy plastic grip cap. Picked up a recoil pad at the local Gander Mountain. If everything goes well I will have it togather and ready for next deer season.

Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you got ripped off [Wink] My offer still stands and I can get the repairs done at my expense. [Big Grin] If you decide to keep this obvious klunker and need some stockwork done I know a couple of good people. I cou;d meet you in Rockford and make the transaction [Big Grin]

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
<GoWyo!>
posted
Howdy Deputy,

If it makes you feel better, there is a like new B-78 heavy barrel .25-06 at a local store here. It is on consignment for....$1,222.22. I just about crapped my pants. Blue book 100% in the box is 700 bucks. I guess the gent doesn't really want to sell it, just show how greedy he is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich, I talked to my gunsmith friend today. He informed me that some times gun manufacturers will patch little bad spots to save a nice stock. He said that they will stain the stocks to blend in the repair and they are very well hiden. He has not looked at it yet but I felt encouraged that the stock could be fixed. If it can't be repaired I will get a new stock made for the gun. It will stay in my collection.

Not going anywhere, Not selling, That would not be prudent at this juncture! [Wink] I like the gun too much to get rid of it. It looks like the big brother to my low-wall 22 hornet.

Thanks for the information GoWyo. It would be interesting to see if anyone does buy that on you mentioned.

Cheers, Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
Being that your in law enforcement I thought you might see this transaction as verging on being criminal [Big Grin] As long as your concious is clear thats what counts. Haven't gotten a chance to shoot the Low Wall yet. Maybe this weekend. I will be in Rockford Sunday trying to hit those little clay targets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have noticed ads in past issues of GUNLIST that have Browning factory wood for B78's for sale.

I own a B78 in 25-06, Mine has the hex barrel. I am quite pleased with the accuracy.

Posts: 901 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the infomation Hairtrigger. I will pick one up asap. If you would, could you post a telephone or any contact infomation of the people who are advertising the stocks?

Thanks very much for your help! Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
Deputy

I sent you a PM with info. The first pm was sent before I finished it so ignor it

Posts: 901 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote