one of us
posted
My retirement present from myself.
Mounted barrel is 218 Mashburn, 26"
Lower barrel is 30-40 Krag, 28"
Top barrel is 38-55, 30"
Scope is 20x Lyman Super TargetSpot

-

Posts: 128 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 128 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Timberghost>
posted
Retired Jeff,
That is truly a beautiful rifle. You must be most proud of it. [Big Grin] The case hardening of the receiver is wonderful. Who did it? It also appears that you know a good stock builder. [Cool]
I am a huge fan of the falling blocks and would love to own a Stevens some day. I found one on a gun sight, but the price seemed high to me. [Frown] I will check out the model and inquire back in a follow up thread. I assume that you would know its value.

<Timberghost>
posted
Jeff,
The rifle I referenced above is a Stevens 417 Walnut Hill in .22 K-Hornet. Cool action! It appears in good shape but no bluing or case hardening left on the receiver. Plain Jane stock. He is asking $975. Is this a good price? [Confused] Seemed high to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Timberghost (like that handle)

I am not familiar with the 417 model. My rifle is a model 52 and is the culmination of almost two years in planning and saving.

The rifle is new, barrel changing is about 3 minutes because I have to change the extractor. I looked at a lot of single shots, Ballards, Sharps (got an Italian already), Browning, Remington (already have a Roller) and really liked the idea of a change barrel. In fact, I even considered getting long barrels for my contender. Then I found an outfit with really high recommendations in Pennsylvania, www.singleshotrifles.com. They were patient with me in the planning. I started this as a BPCR project, liked the classic schuetzen look better, the stock is fiddleback and was an upgrade, I did the finishing. Aside from the Lyman scope, I also have a modified Weaver base that can be used for mounting a regular scope if I'm in the mood.

The case work was done by Classic Guns in Beecher, IL by John Gillette, a super nice Guy. They do really high quality work.

The engraving was done by a master engraver here in North Carolina, Ken Hurst. Ken's been in the business for about 40 years. Ken helped me plan this rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
GREAT!! looking rifle retired Jeff. I like your choice of calibers also. Those should cover most everything at reasonable hunting ranges. Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Kboom>
posted
That beats the heck out of a gold watch !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
When you're retired, who cares about time?

Except dinner-time and bed-time...

one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
retired jeff

What a beautiful rifle. It is almost to pretty to use, almost. I am not familiar with the stevens but I assume that the two triggers are a set trigger? Does that Schutzen butt stock make the recoil more or less? Beautiful job.

wants to be retired mike [Smile]

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike

The rifle is new and a copy of a 44 1/2 action made by Stevens up to about 1915. The outfit making them today is CPA on www.singleshotrifles.com. Good folks.

The stock design actually makes the rifle a model 52 and the schuetzen buttplate plate is engineered for offhand shooting and sits just off of the shoulder. It also works pretty good from a bench position. I don't feel any discomfort with recoil but then the rifle weighs in at about 13 pounds with the scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Timberghost

The 417 Stevens action is not a strong action and the K Hornet is too hot for it. The basic action is a 44 Stevens, not a strong 44 1/2.
They were originally made in .22LR, .25 rimfire, and .22 Hornet, but the Hornets were unsuccessful and developed excess headspace. If unaltered - not made into a K - they are hot collectors items for the Stevens bugs but they are not good for shooting. Stay away.

Vigillinus

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote