New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gonna buy another #1
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I went looking for a donar action far a .257 Roberts AI. I found a few potential candidates but the 1 I liked best was a #1 b I found.
I might keep it as is and build on somthing else.
This one is a .270 and the barrel is marked 200 the year, or words to that effect, centenial model ? I can get it for 529.00 witch ain't bad these days , even for a donar. Condition is about 85%. seem like a good deal ?
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom, thanks again for the scope.
I've had a #1B in 280 Remington for about 5 years and got it for about the same price...so that would make the 270 a better buy. If it was made as early as 1976 (red recoil pad?) it will have a fully adjustable trigger. Does this one come with a scope too? Even better.
The #1B with a 26" barrel is still shorter than a bolt gun with a 22" barrel. You will get quite a bit more velocity out of the 270. I sure do with the 280, just a little below my friends 7 mag (24" barrel) on the chrono with factory loads. Besides, does anyone have enough #1's?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea I jon
I think I,ll like it.
In the event I don't I will use the action for a custom. My smith has done up some real prety #1s along with the guy who checkers for them.
The guy who checkers is quite the world hunter and he has custom 1s in several cool calibers. One is a 270,08 and with a 26 inch barrel he gets 3100 with a 130 grain bullet.
I sort of want to know if it has any collector value with tha 200 year marking on the barrrel?
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TJ,

the Ruger Collectors Assn. recommends them in any caliber as a great asset to any collection.
They bring a substantial premium, especially if in the original box.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Local shop had one in .270 with a cheap scope, metal good, wood dinged a bit from hunting use. Asking $500. I passed.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Any No. 1 inscribed "MADE IN THE 200th YEAR OF AMERICAN LIBERTY" was made in 1976. I have a 1A 7X57mm and a No. 3 .30/40, and had a 1V .25/'06, all with this inscription.

I believe the "Liberty" models are worth somewhat more due to this but I am not sure just how much more. I think condition is still more important as far as value is concerned.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today I sent the money for a used .223 #1V, $499 + shipping + FFL.

Now I need a scope and some rings.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote