Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle with multiple calibers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
gents, need help with this.
In discussions to purchase a rifle chambered for 460 S&W, which can fire 454 Casull and 45 LC. How accurate can it be firing all three? Most shots will be under 100 yds, mostly target practice and some predator hunting (coyotes, wolves).
I am planning on buying 460 dies and can I resize all once-fired 454 and 45 LC brass to 460?
thanks

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
You'll probably get your most accurate loads using 460 S&W Magnum brass. You could also shoot 454 Casull and 45 Colt cartridges as well but you'll probably be frustrated getting good 100 yard accuracy out of them.

Actually, though I finally got my 460 S&W Encore handgun to shoot very well, it took more fiddling than I've had to do with other cartridges. If I was out to buy a rifle for target shooting and predator hunting, I would pick one chambered for a different cartridge.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I believe the brass on all 3 calibers is different lengths and would not be useful in attempting to load the 45 Colt and 454 to 460 loads.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The shorter cases will probably not be as accurate as the 460. If it were me, I would just work up two or three different loads for the 460 brass from mild to hot and forget the different cases.

Posts: 816 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a thought but why not load all in the same length brass say the .460 S&W then use different head stamps to tell the different loads apart that way the accuracy won't suffer by the amount of free-bore & you won't get the large amounts of fouling build up in the chamber.

Posts: 152 | Location: Vanc.USA | Registered: 15 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should get the die set for the shortest cartridge(45LC)as a 460 S&W sizeing die would work for all three but you would have trouble with the belling and seating/crimp dies. Just set up the two dies for 45LC then make up two sets of spacers that are the difference between the 45LC - 454C and between the 45LC-460 S&W. If you uses a after seating crimp die (Lee factory crimp)you would need a third set. Doing it this way the only adjustment that you would need to do on the dies would be the seating stem when you change bullets.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote