New
Find
Notify
Tools

k95 accuracy?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
what kind of accuracy can i expect out of a k95 with factory ammo in a .270 we are a blaser dealer and i can basically work one off? they seem to be really nice, any likes, dislikes?

one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
My dealer had a K95 in .30-06 for awhile and test fired it. As I recall, with iron sights at 100 yards it was a MOA gun with factory ammo. Hope that helps.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fats,

I suggest you post in the European Big Game forum as Montero has a number of the predecessors of this rifle.

I very nearly bought one myself but in the end decided single shot was not for me due to my culling work and multiple shot opportunities.

It looks to be a very nice rifle though I wouldn't want one in 270 - they are VERY light!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, I tested and wrote up a K95 in 7x65R for a magazine. I used only the provided RWS ammo in 3 different bullet weights and all 5-shot groups stayed within .75 - 1.25 MOA. I was impressed and wonder what this baby could have done with selected handloads. All in all, a lovable and exquisitely made tack driving stalking rifle. If it wasn't for the price, I'd buy several [Big Grin]

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Taildraggin>
posted
Andre,

How was removing a spent cartridge? As I recall, the barrel top lug hinders access to the the chamber and there is only an extractor (not an ejector). I really like that it breaks down.

- TD

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
TD, I didn't encounter any problem extracting cases and even remember that, shooting from the bench, it was handier to open the rifle canted on its side and elevate the bbl. for the case to slide out.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a used K95 in 7mm R M last summer, I�ve only put 300 shots trough it and taken one reindeer and two red stags, but I am already in love...

I found the barrel to be as picky as most barrels, Nosler 150 grains and Sierra 140 grains are 1/2 MOA at 100 meters. The Blaser CDP 154 grain didn�t work at all. Federal factory loaded 160 grain TB is about 1 MOA. In my opinion this is very good precision. I have never heard about a K95 that wouldn�t shoot well with the right load. Reloading is fast for a single shot, the breech opens very easily (and quietly), and picking out the spent case is easy even with thin leather gloves. Access is ecellent.

Add to this that the orignal scope munt is detachable in seconds, allways returning to zero, that the rifle breaks down to fit inside a small backpack and is very lightweight(My rifle weighs 7 pounds with a S & B 3-12 X 42 and a cartridge in the chamber), well, as I said,I�m in love.

The only thing I am going to change is the trigger pull, it is about 8 ounces and way to light for me. This is easy. I have a german "hogback" stock, and even though I know most americans think they look ridiculous it�s the best stock I have ever used. I like it much better than the straight classic stocks I have used before, and the looks grow on you.

In short, get one if you can, I don�t think you will ever regret it.

Tron

Posts: 210 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Taildraggin>
posted
Thanks, TRB. I've been waiting for a "field report." I do like the idea of breaking it down for packing.

(I don't think Americans "dislike" the german stock shapes -- they're just different and distinctive. Also, the "humpback" looks like the old, hardkicking, high drop comb, pre-war rifles. Later stocks have "straighted" to reduce recoil in the modern high power guns(e.g. pre- and postwar Winchester 70s). That "bavarian comb" K95 looks good to me. If you're getting a german gun...)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought one used in 6,5x57 mm R this spring and am totally excited. handloads with 120 grain Nosler BT and PT shoot basically to the same POA and give groups of 16 to 18 mm at 100 meters. With a 6x42 mm scope it is very easy to carry, the trigger is match grade ex-factory and the manual cocking the safest thing after a water pistol.
The action is said to be extremely strong, because it locks directly in the barrel.
By the way, nearly all Blaser rifles shoot very well, without additional "refinements".
Get one, you will not regret it.
Bets regards, Dirk Kern

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote