New
Find
Notify
Tools

single shot gunsmiths
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Trying to find someone to build me a particular rifle, and so far I've been getting solid no's or no response at all.

Can anyone recommend a smith who can do falling block work? I have an action and barrel, I need it threaded, chambered, the extractor cut and polish/blue.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jim kobe has either done or helped me do several including ruger #1 - martine cadets - hi walls and low walls etc etc

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
R.J. RENNER possibly?

Posts: 355 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need contact Renner anyways about doing a Ruger No 3.

Jim sent me a message.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need contact Renner anyways about doing a Ruger No 3.

Jim sent me a message.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
and Kobe is out.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Bertram & CO are right up the road from you.
What are you building?

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't heard a response back from Steve yet, I reached out to him last week.

I'm building a Peregrine 033 in either 25-45 or 25-20. Its a scaled down falling block made by a guy who lived here in CO. Its like a 2/3rds scale sharps. I happened across an action still in the white, from a guy who did work for Robert Johnson, the actions designer/ builder back in the late 80's/ early 90's. Cooper for a time, bought the rights to the design and made a few guns called the Model 7. Some sort of fallout came about and Robert took back the rights. My goal is a very compact little deer/goat gun, not trying to go compete in assra long range stuff, that's why I am leaning towards the 25-45 (plus easy to make brass). Even in a 18-19" bbl its a 300 +/- deer/ antelope gun. 25-20 might just end up a range toy, although I DO have brass, dies and ammo for it with no gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try John McLaughlin in Helena, he's a guild member and can be found on their website. Fabricates his own forend hanger for #1's and other custom metal parts.

Posts: 59 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
C. Sharps Arms in Big Timber, Montana will do custom work. I had them build a copy of an original Remington rolling block sporting rifle in .50-70 and am very happy with the work.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Roger Penrod is very well regarded, and known for working on Ruger No 1 rifles.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Renner is great. My ruger 7x57 was done by him and I love it, had it about 5 years and thats a record for me..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41868 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote