New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Wickliffe info wanted..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you hit the used books stores, you might find a copy of the 32nd edition (1978) Gun Digest. On page 251, there is an article on the Wickliffe "76 by Bob Steindler. It is based on the Stevens 44 1/4 action and is considered an improvement of that action. There were three grades, standard, Deluxe, and Commemerative. The 30-06 only came in the deluxe and Commemerative grades.
After looking at that article again, I'm kicking myself even harder for not buying that one in .308.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First off....Just wanted to say Thanx for all the info on my rifle. I paid $550 for it, used but unfired. It's a .30-06 cal. which suits me fine as I'm all tooled up for that cal. It has a bit of a short throat for shooting some of the long cast bullets I have in my collection but will make it just about right without having to have them intrude into the powder space. I haven't had enough spare time to go shoot it but will let you guys know how it goes. As far as it goes, which action type? I couldn't tell you but I read a scrap somewhere on this internet that it is like a Winchester Hi-Wall.
Thanks again everyone!

Posts: 128 | Location: Star, Idaho | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote