New
Find
Notify
Tools

#1H / .416 Rem query
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've come across a #1H in .416 Rem. It comes with 38 rds, of brass and 2 live rounds, which apparently accounts for it's 'experience' to this point - it looks like new.

Does anybody out there have one? How do you like it? Any idea as to $$ value?

Posts: 5743 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tumbleweed. I have had two No1's, a 243 and a 45/70. Still have the 45/70, it is one of the rifles I will not sell. I have shot a friends 375H&H and another buddys 458Win Mag. The No1 is an excellent rifle, especially in the big bores. You do not have to worry about any feeding or extraction problems that seem to plague big bore bolt rifles. Also I have never heard of a No1 busting a stock[in factory calibers]. With some practice you can shoot, reload, shoot, almost as fast as a bolt rifle, with our worry of any feeding problems. Any of the 40 cal big bores are excellent calibers. If the recoil of factory 416's are a bit much, just load down to 450/400,404 Jeffery velocity @2125 to 2150fps. The game cannot tell the difference. For deer and pigs a 300gr at 2300fps is a sure killer with mild recoil.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had one since '95....they're a great gun and shoot well. New they're around $700-$800, so used I'd say they're worth $500-$600.

Lee Martin
www.singleactions.com

Posts: 380 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Kenai Capt>
posted
Tumbleweed,
I've an '06, a .416Rigby and a .450#2 and they are great.
NE450No2 is right, with practice you can learn to shoot them very quickly.
Go ahead and get it.

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tumbleweed:
Does anybody out there have one? How do you like it??

Awesome rifle and cartridge. I bought one in Oct of 2001, brand new. I shot 75 rounds through it, with the factory iron sights. They are alright, but most groups were around 2-3" @ 60 yards. I bought a scope in March of 2002, a Weaver V3 1-3X20mm matte scope in Leupold low rings.

I handload exclusively for it, as factory ammo is extremely expensive. I've shot the 350 gr. Speer Mag-Tip, and Hornady's 400 gr. soft point. Accuracy is great. It's hard to aim precisely when you're looking through a 3X scope and you're absorbing 60 ft-lbs of push! Recoil isn't too bad though, I kind of like it [Smile]

I've used it to take 1 mule deer and 1 moose. Both were taken with 350 gr. Speer's @ 2545 fps. Performance has been awesome.

I love the rifle, it is beautiful, rugged, accurate, and just plain turns heads. As for the price, a new one is $1040 Canadian or more, so a barely used on could be worth $600-$800, that's my guess.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote