New
Find
Notify
Tools

40/65 loads for Browning
 Login/Join

<docgary>
posted
I recently obtained a new in box Browning BPRC in 40/65. I know it says blackpowder onoy, but have also bene told it will safelty use smokeless powder. Does anyone have a suggestions as to a source of lead bullets for it and a good smokeless powder. I want something for fun shooting, and maybe to hunt pronghorn next fall. Thanks, Doc

<jimc99328>
posted
What's wrong with black powder? Works great!! I use 60 gr of FF Goex powder, Win large rifle primer, a .30 poly wad and Lyman snover bullet with SPG lube.
You can get anything you need at Buffalo Arms. buffaloarms.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Jim. you can do anything you want with a B.P. Just takes a little more time. I have one of those rifles and shoot only B.P. in it with cast bullets. Give it a try!

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
<monty>
posted
docgary,

The previous posts are correct, shooting black powder in your 40-65 will open a whole new world of fun for you. This is a link to some smokeless reloading data for your rifle. http://www.hodgdon.com/data/cowboy/lrrd.php
If you choose to try the holy black, the SPG reloading primer is an absolute must! It can be found at http://www.blackpowderspg.com/products_body.html
I have had so much fun shooting my Shiloh Sharps black powder rifles that I simply don�t use my smokeless rifles any more! Ether way you go, have fun!
Monty

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by docgary:
I recently obtained a new in box Browning BPRC in 40/65. I know it says blackpowder onoy, but have also bene told it will safelty use smokeless powder. Does anyone have a suggestions as to a source of lead bullets for it and a good smokeless powder. I want something for fun shooting, and maybe to hunt pronghorn next fall. Thanks, Doc

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

I shoot the 40/65 on a M1895 Marlin these days and have done extensive shooting with it in on the Ballard.

Certainly there are many good smokeless loads that will shoot accurately and never be a worry for the Black Powder limitations set forth on the Browning.

Accurate shooting now, there is the question.

My current favoite load in the 40/65 is 18.5 grains SR4759, 1/2 sheet T/P filler and the 0.050 card wad under a SAECO #640; the 385 grain semi-pointed design.

This provides 1250 ft/sec and excellent accuracy.

Good evening,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote