THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    New Ruger .300H&H #1-S (?) Available

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Ruger .300H&H #1-S (?) Available
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
This may be old news, but I just saw it tonight at Cabela's. So if anyone else is interested, here it is....

"Cabela's 50th Anniversary Ruger® No. 1 Rifle. Only 500 will be made.

"High-grade walnut stock with
Alexander Henry-style forend,
Deep-blued barrel and receiver,
Gold-plated Cabela’s logo.
Celebrate the 50th anniversary of the World’s Foremost Outfitter® with a classic Ruger rifle made for North America’s largest game animals.

"Chambered in the hard-hitting .300 H&H caliber, it features a stunning high-grade walnut stock and Alexander Henry-style forend with a high luster and a highly polished, deep-blued barrel and receiver.

"Renowned for the strength, simplicity and reliability of its design, the Ruger No.1 features a lever-operated falling-block breech mechanism.

"This rifle comes with adjustable open sights and Ruger’s patented scope-mounting system that includes integral quarter-rib scope bases that can’t come loose. A set of Ruger scope rings are also included.

"The smooth-sliding tang safety is easy to access and operate. The ejector mechanism is adjustable for ejection or extraction. A gold-plated Cabela’s logo appears on the bottom of the receiver, and the Ruger logo is displayed on the red rubber recoil pad. Sling studs are mounted on the barrel and rear stock.

"Only 500 of these rifles will be made, so take advantage of this opportunity to own a unique big-game rifle."

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey ac - good to see you back again

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Butchloc. My current return is only temporary. Will be absent at least several weeks after upcoming surgery.

BTW, I always enjoy your postings in the humour forum...my kinda stuff.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well get better soon, you've certainly been missed around here

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the picture of it from the catalog on my wall at work. When it gets a bit booring I look over at it and dream.

Next?
Jordon

Posts: 81 | Location: North Midwest USA | Registered: 10 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A gold-plated Cabela’s logo appears on the bottom of the receiver,

That kills my interest right there. Nothin against Cabelas, but I dont see where Cabelas done anything I would care to honor to this extent. I dont mind the free ads on a hat, thats about it for me.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fourbore:
quote:
A gold-plated Cabela’s logo appears on the bottom of the receiver,

That kills my interest right there. Nothin against Cabelas, but I dont see where Cabelas done anything I would care to honor to this extent. I dont mind the free ads on a hat, thats about it for me.

I appreciate and understand your feelings, but the Cabelas logo doesn't bother me. Here's why:

To get Ruger to make a special run of rifles requires a large order (500, so I've heard). Though lots of guys claim they want a No.1-S in .300 H&H, no one has come forward to make that large an order as either an individual order or a group buy, so Ruger hasn't made trhat special run. Maybe Ruger figures that because here has been no group-buy, the demand really isn't there to justify the production run.

Now Cabela's has put their money where a lot of mouths were...they've put up the loot to get the rifles built. I think that gives them the right to get some advertising or recognition for it. It won't hurt the future value of the guns anyway. Did it hurt the value of Beakert (SP?) pistols? Lots of folks complained about Browning '86s being made in Japan, but has it caused a great drop in their values on the used market? Maybe if they sell fast enough, Ruger might even make the .300 H&H No. 1-S a catalogued product available to everyone on a one-at-a-time basis?

Well, anyway, if it wasn't for my current age and health, I'd buy one of those Cabela's Rugers in a heart beat...probably will anyway depending on how well the next month with the sawbones goes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Albeta.

I think you are giving too much credit to Cabelas...

Yes- last year, Lipsey's had .300 H&H rifles listed as special runs- and they DID make them as Lispsey's got the orders in to Ruger. I bet they even made all 500, in fact. The things have been for sale all over the internet since last spring.

It went over so well, that Ruger has added the .300 H&H to their REGULAR 2011 lineup as evidenced here-

http://www.ruger.com/products/...mSporter/models.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting news, Jim. Funny thing is, I ordered three No 1's from Lipsey's in the last year or so, and somehow I missed even seeing the .300 H&H there. Not that they weren't there, but as I wasn't looking for one in that chambering at the time, I just didn't notice them.

If they were in stainless, I wouldn't have read the blurb on them anyway, as I just have no use or interest whatsoever in a stainless No. 1. Just my own personal "taste", but to me a stainless Ruger #1 is kind of like chrome plating caviar.

I do like the wood and blued ones very much though, so the three I got most recently from Lipsey's (through a good friend local stocking dealer) are a .405 Win, a.450/.400, and a 9.3x74, all "blue & wood". Am still looking to find one of their .303 British versions. Don't want a Krag, as to me only a 26" barrel would be "proper" for a hunting rifle with that great old chambering. For a No. 1-S with a 26" bbl, Id spend every last dime I have, if required.

Anyway, am glad to hear that Lipsey's order led to them being a catalogued item for 2011.

Which models are they available in? 1-S? 1-B? What? I'd like to have one in a No. 1-V. I have an older .300 Win Mag in the 1-V and it has seen enough use to need replacing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AC,

Sorry you missed the .300 H&H no 1s.. There are still some available and Ruger is shipping the regular production versions, now..

The .300 Holland were chambered in the no 1-S model with the 26" barrels.I can't think of a more fitting gun/cartridge combo.

The lipsey's guns were not special serial numbers or anything, so a 2011 model will be just as good.

BTW, another of the Lispey's specials- the No 1-A in the .303 British, is now a regular cataloged model ,too.

It's funny how in the last few years, Ruger has finally decided some of the older Rimmed and English rounds actually suit the Ruger no 1?

What's next? Some more .22Hornets and .218 Bees??

Gosh I hope so...LOL

I really would like to be able to buy a no 1A in 22 Hornet

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Cabela's 50th Anniversary Ruger® No. 1 Rifle

Just my take but that is not a "high grade" stock by any measure. Love it otherwise.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Yeah, commemorative and anniversary editions do nothing for me. I don't like "post warning" Rugers because of the insulting stamp.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
probably would get just as nice wood on the standard run 300. Ruger has not been using as nice a grade of wood on the #1's for several years.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got the Boddington version in 300 H&H. I've been waiting for this run for a lot of years. Ruger made a very small run of less than 100 rifles in the mid 90's. A friend of mine has one, and I had been envious of him for many years. Now I have the one and only #1 that I've ever really wanted. I wouldn't mind owning a few more in various calibers, but if I never own another #1 I'll be quite satisfied. My 300 H&H shoots very well, and I just love the way it balances between my hands. I wish Ruger had made a 375H&H with the exact dimesions as the 300H&H. The 22 inch barreled 375 Ruger does nothing for me. Nor do any of the other short barreled #1's.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish someone would just tell Ruger, the appeal of a #1, other than good looks; is the ability to stick a longer barrel on them. I was ready to buy a 9,3x74R, until I saw the stubby barrel.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I wish someone would just tell Ruger, the appeal of a #1, other than good looks; is the ability to stick a longer barrel on them. I was ready to buy a 9,3x74R, until I saw the stubby barrel.

Rich

I couldn't agree more. When my local shop got one in 9.3x74, I was so disappointed when I saw the short barrel I almost (almost!) passed on it. I'm glad I bought it...it shoots well, but if only it had that extra 4 inches on the barrel...

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Last year I purchased a Pre-64 M70 in .300 H&H. Absolutely no regrets in that one. Just gotta love the cartridge.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I like the short barrel on my 9.3X74R, it is sure handier in the bush. I have shortened a few barrels just for the ease of handling in the bush.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
I won a No 1S stainless laminate recently at the Iowa SCI Chapter banquet. It is in 375 Ruger. I thought I would sell it, but the lure of the 300H&H finally got the better of me. Jim Kobe has a 3 groove Lilja stainless #4 contour barrel coming for it that will finish out a 24", with the barrel band, blacked receiver and set trigger. Should make a great open county rifle...

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 840 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Visualize: a Number One with a 28 inch, half octagon, half round in 300 H&H...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote