THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    TCR rifle , anybody out there who has one ?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TCR rifle , anybody out there who has one ?
 Login/Join

<J�rgen>
posted
I was offered a TCR rifle with 4 different barrels , since I own several Contenders and an Encore I thought another T/C product would be good . But do they shoot ? Any problems that I should be aware of ??Thanks J�rgen [Confused]

<eldeguello>
posted
Jurgen, I have one of the earlier ones with double-set triggers. I have .22/250, .243 Win., and .30/'06 barrels for it. The .22/250 and .30/'06 barrels are quite accurate, but I have not yet succeeded in getting the .243 barrel to shoot well. I don't know if the problem is that I have not yet found a decent load for it, or if the barrel is just no good. Since the other two barrels are OK, I guess the gun itself is also OK. I bought this thing with the idea of having a bunch of different caliber barrels, then TC stopped makeing the barrels!! so I'm pretty much stuck with an "orphan". If I want an interchangeable barrel rig now, I guess I'll eventually have to get a J.P. Sauer 202....

one of us
posted Hide Post
My shooting partner has 2 of them, one with the dual triggers one with the single
2-223bbls and 1-308bbl
Both are accurate as anything and the only problem so far has been finding bbls for them. We would like to get a 7x57 if anyone know where to find one??

Posts: 330 | Location: Oregon, U.S. of A. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
KTS1, I agree about the difficulty of getting barrels. Most who have them are hanging on to them, and not too many custom outfits will still make them. I'd personally like to get one in .223, and one in .32/40! SSK was making them, but only in very large bore sizes, which did not onterest me. There's also http:\\www.viginvallyguns.com, an outfit that allegedly makes some from time to time. I have not contacted them.

<J�rgen>
posted
Hi eldeguello and KTS 1 , thanks for you reply !The TCR I was offered consists of a slug barrel in 12/76 ( or 3,5 " for you americans) , this one I tried about 6 months ago at our local shooting range , it is equipped with an german EAW detachable mount and a Vari X II , it printed 3 shots in about 3-4 " at 100 meters , WOW , was I impressed !
I have not tried the 7mm Rem. Mag. factory barrel yet ( for the lack of ammo and time) but this one has an EAW mount too but with a variable Zeiss scope ! And last , but not least is the custom made SSK barrel in .500 Nitro Express , with brake and high gloss finish. There`s the same EAW mount on it (by the way , these are 300$ when new)and a Nickel 1-4 x 35 scope. For the same reason as above I haven`t shot this one .....!
I can have all this for the sum of about 1800 $ , but since I do not hunt , what shall I do with the 500 Nitro Express , punch holes in paper at 100 meters and bruise my shoulder to death ?? But the walnut is gorgeous and the slug barrel is cheap and easy to shoot , decisions , decisions , hell ....! What do you think ? [Confused]

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a barrel that i would swap with you
4 the 500 don't kick at all. [Big Grin]

Posts: 63 | Location: ga | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With Quote
<J�rgen>
posted
Hi SR25 , guess what , I`d swap the 500 , but since it`s not my barrel yet and since it`s a pain in the ass to ship/receive overseas , we should probably just leave it like it is !
Thanks for your answer anyway , J�rgen

one of us
posted Hide Post
well ya need to aquire it the hassel in trading
would be well worth it. most barrels over here are selling for 250.00/450.00 by the way it was a
22 hornet barrel. [Big Grin]

Posts: 63 | Location: ga | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With Quote
<J�rgen>
posted
I guess you can keep the "Little insect" then !
Calculating from your prices , it looks as if I should buy it , but how do I sneak around my wife when I come home with it?

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J�rgen:
I guess you can keep the "Little insect" then !
Calculating from your prices , it looks as if I should buy it , but how do I sneak around my wife when I come home with it?

I usually leave it in the van until my wife goes to sleep, put it with the other barrels/guns, and
wait for her to "come to" about it. By then 4-6 months have passed, and I can tell her it's
something I've had for quite a few months.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SR25 and list,

Please do not let that guy who lists TCR barrels on Gunbroker for $450 fool you. In my experience, most TCR barrels sell for $150-$250. Yes, they may be hard to find, but please do not pay those outrageous prices for used factory barrels. Virgin Valley will still build you one for about $400, and you will have a new superior barrel to boot.

[ 12-08-2002, 05:17: Message edited by: Cokdnloded ]

Posts: 177 | Location: SW Florida | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I've got a TCR '87 with two barrels - one is a 3" 12 ga. rifled slug barrel that shoots 1" groups at 100 yds. - the other is a heavy barrelled .270 T/C Custom Shop that shoots under 1/2" with factory loads.

Just remember the whole idea behind any single-shot firearm - you have to make the first shot count!!

Good luck.

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
erict,

What kind of slugs are you shooting in that bad boy? I have one of those too, but I have not yet worked with it much.

Posts: 177 | Location: SW Florida | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote