New
Find
Notify
Tools

TC Encore or Contender?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Excuse the apparent ignorance, but I was asking myself what the differences are between the Contender and Encore model. I can see they are slightly different to look at, but not having any idea of what they cost repectively and never having shot either, and not being a single shot enthousiast qualify me to not know much.

I would like to get a TC rifle and a pistol, the idea of being able to swap barrels appeals to me, and I get the impression they are very accurate?

I read a few posts about people customizing TCs changing to barrels made by Shilen and the like. Just how big an improvment do you guys get, I mean how accurate are these guns to start with?

I would like to get a pistol in 22LR with a match chamber, though I have not decided for the rifle, I would like a nice flat accurate round for some sniping/varminting fun.

What should I know about TCs before I buy?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Way, way too much to type here.... but....

The Encore will take almost any cartridge but weighs more than the Contender. The Contender is lighter and typically has better balance but won't handle cartridges with a lot of pressure or backthrust.

Most people use the Encore for rifle barrels and the Contender for pistol barrels.

G'luck finding a Contender though... They quit making them 2 years ago and are going to be shipping the replacement which is called the G2 in March (if they actually get it finished by then)

Start reading everything you can about them here in the Single Shot Rifle forum and the Single Shot Pistol forum here too.....

You'll start picking it up pretty quickly.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Express, I have owned the same Contender for over 30 years and have owned an Encore since they first came out. They both are quality products and are backed by the factory for life. As previously pointed out, the Contender is history - it has been been available in everything from .22lr to .45/70 and has been hotrodded with all kinds of wildcat cartridges. It will take abuse to a limited degree, however, if it is "horsepower" you are looking for - the Encore is available in magnum calibers and will take about any remotely reasonable sporting cartridge. I have pointed out to folks the Contender is best compared to the small block Chevy engine - and the Encore would be the big block of the bunch. In stock form, the Encore weighes in about a pound heavier and is a bit less refined - simplier and stouter in design. Either will provide more accuracy than most folks need and will give you a lifetime of service. I hope this helps some.

Posts: 376 | Location: Farmington, NM - USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote