New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found a great load For My #1
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I took the #1A 7X57 out to the range today.
Been shooting a few loads to see what she like.
She loves the 140 grain balistic tip nosler over 50 grain charge of H-414. My 1st group was .5inches secone was .75 and the last was 1.5 with 2 at .4and the 3rd being a flyer.
i am quite pleased with this. I need to chrony the load and if its up over 2800 or so I think I am set for deer hunting. I am prety sure I heat it up if I want but if its giving good speed now ,I won't bother...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd bet your flyer was either operator error or the barrel was getting a bit too hot.
Even if that load only makes 2700 FPS, it'll be good load for deer.
Ain't it grand when a plan comes together? dancing
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea paul you are probably right on all counts. I vote for barrel heat but I might not be real objective on the issue.
Certainly 2700 would be great for deer but I just like 2800 or 2900 with the balistic tips as being about getting the best preformance from the bullet cartridge and rifle.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Good grouping! You can get right at 3000 FPS from some 140-grain bullets (including the Nosler BT and Partiton) in the 1A 7X57mm, but it takes 53.5 grains of WW 760 to do it in mine. This load is more in the 0.75"-1.0" range for three shots in my 1A. Not as accurate as yours.

I suspect your load is giving you almost exactly 2800 FPS - chronograph it and let us know what it did!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If we have decent weather this weekend i will chroney, that and a few other loads. I thik I will load up a few with 50.5 and 51. grains and see how they do.
My rifle has a long throat so I bet the preasure is rather low.
Think I,ll try some 140 acubonds and see how they compare acuracy wise. Would make a better load for elk...tj3006

freedom1st