Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Number One -1A 7x57
 Login/Join

posted
Do you neck size your brass or full length resize. I am concerned about the lack - am just starting to load for this gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is lack? I only neck size.

Posts: 1133 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is "the lack" ?

Posts: 712 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I only have one 7x57 and it happens to be a No 1-A also. I am neck sizing my brass.

Love the caliber

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have a 7x57 in a Ruger RSI and I full length resize but I adjusted my die to only bump the shoulder back between .001" and .002".

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies and your tolerance for my incomplete sentence - I had heard that the Number One's ability to eject is not as forceful as a bolt action- as long as I don't try to make the 7x57 into a .280 I should be fine.
I am recovering from cancer surgery - the new to me Number One has got me off my ass and starting to enjoy life once again.
Again, thanks to all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope you have lots of fun with it.
7x57 Ruger Mk1 RSI was a boyhood dream of mine.

Posts: 468 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a very early #1A 7x57. I have killed a couple of antelope with it and it is a joy to carry. Accuracy has never been great but good enough. As I understand it the early ones had barrels that were not-so-great. This one has a very long throat and the neck portion of the chamber is 'generous'. I fire form and only neck size the cases. It seems to do best with heavier bullets seated as long as possible. The #1 action is very strong. You can improve on factory 7x57 ballistics by quite a margin.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do like Frank. Size it just enough in a full-length die to set the shoulder back 0.001-0.002". My rifle is also a #1A, made in 1976. Hornady sells a tool that will help you measure the length. Size your brass just enough that it chambers easily but don't overwork the brass. I neck size new brass but use a neck-sizing die. If you try to neck-size with a full-length sizer you may push the shoulder forward and have trouble chambering. I recommend reading the section on sizing brass in Bob Hagel's book "Game Loads and Practical Ballistics for the American Hunter". He does a much better job than I can of explaining dies and resizing. Some of his loads were a little on the warm side so be careful there. The 7x57 is a great cartridge, but if you want to exceed the factory ballistics by much, I recommend a larger cartridge.

posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your replies - a long shot for me would be 200 yards max - I just don't need or want a hyper velocity load. 2700 FPS with a 140 or 150 grain bullet would be more than adequate. Fiddling for decent accuracy as opposed to chasing high velocity is my goal.

The 7x57 is one of the grand old cartridges with a strong nostalgia factor for me and is more than ample for my hunting/shooting needs.

Good shooting to all.

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I have a 7x57 in a Ruger RSI and I full length resize but I adjusted my die to only bump the shoulder back between .001" and .002".

Another 7x57 RSI owner. I resize as above. I like them to drop in in the chamber easily, maybe slight resistance when closing the action. My favorite caliber.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blooper:
Thank you all for your replies - a long shot for me would be 200 yards max - I just don't need or want a hyper velocity load. 2700 FPS with a 140 or 150 grain bullet would be more than adequate. Fiddling for decent accuracy as opposed to chasing high velocity is my goal.

The 7x57 is one of the grand old cartridges with a strong nostalgia factor for me and is more than ample for my hunting/shooting needs.

Good shooting to all.

I do load above factory levels somewhat, but not a great deal. Still below pressures of cartridges like the 270 Win, I'm sure.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the secret I guess is there is a screw under the forearm that adjusts the force one wants to eject the fired case, it can barely move the case or send it to west texas from Dallas!

MY #1 A is a 270, and I neck size to fit easily when loading, and kick the case over my shoulder..I neck size sometimes and FL other times, depending on what I need at the time..I always FL with hunting ammo as function displaces what little accuracy increase difference you get with neck sizing and not much difference in case life..A lot depends on the individual firearm.

That #1 is without a doubt the strongest action ever built that I know of, working up max loads is plumb tickleish, it just keeps cooking..Ive pushed it to it limit I think just to see where max really and I chickened out before the gun or brass did. NOt recommended to others, your flying by the seat of your pants..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41868 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A #1 anecdote- as related by Roger Green. Tried to blow one up, surface grinding the action till he was uncomfortable with the thickness and still did not destruct. Very stout action, proceed at your own risk.

Posts: 1133 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote