Find
Notify
Tools

New High Wall rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
hi all

Anyone seen/used/heard reports on the new High Wall rifles being made by Ballard Rifle Co? I had heard a while back that someone bought the rights to, and was again manufacturing, the Ballard rifles. What I recently discovered online is that they are making Winchester High Wall rifles as well. Seeing the prices at www.ballardrifles.com causes me to ponder if it would be wiser to aim for getting one of the new rifles, as the cost of a good condition original is right up there with the cost of a new one by Ballard Rifle Co. With the new rifle there are no mysteries such as how it was loaded for/treated by the many prev owners. Although an original does have a nostalgic appeal, I have been nervous about the chance of eventually getting up the $$ for a High Wall, only to find that it has some shortcoming that was unforseen at time of purchase.

thoughts/reports?

DJ

Posts: 88 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good question.

I've looked at them on several occasions over the past few years. Almost bought one! But I choked on the price, then later I found about the Stevens 44 1/2 rifle made by CPA. It's a switch barrel falling block and very pleasing to my old eyes. So I got one of them instead..

At any rate, you might want to post your question on a few other boards. There's lots of folks that are really into the singleshot's, they're friendly and very knowledgable.

http://talk.shooters.com/

Scroll down to
Sports / Competition and look for Blackpowder Cartridge

Further down is
Firearms & Weapons Collecting
check out the Schuetzen room. This is probably your best bet.

Posts: 128 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dej470:
hi all

Anyone seen/used/heard reports on the new High Wall rifles being made by Ballard Rifle Co? I had heard a while back that someone bought the rights to, and was again manufacturing, the Ballard rifles. What I recently discovered online is that they are making Winchester High Wall rifles as well. Seeing the prices at www.ballardrifles.com causes me to ponder if it would be wiser to aim for getting one of the new rifles, as the cost of a good condition original is right up there with the cost of a new one by Ballard Rifle Co. With the new rifle there are no mysteries such as how it was loaded for/treated by the many prev owners. Although an original does have a nostalgic appeal, I have been nervous about the chance of eventually getting up the $$ for a High Wall, only to find that it has some shortcoming that was unforseen at time of purchase.

thoughts/reports?

DJ

DJ,
I highly recommend the Ballard Rifles being made in Cody. Friends have several of them, plus many originals and each is as good as the other. The one good thing about the new ones however, is there is no fear of a cast action such as SOME of the originals. Those old cast actions can crumble, quite literally. My Ballard was such an original, and it fell apart on .32-40 loads. Busted in half. The original owner bought a TMI (I think it was) action blank and remilled and forged it to use with the old parts.

As for their highwalls, they are the best out there. Finding a decent highwall these days with set triggers and the stock and lever configuration you want, can be very difficult and pricy.

Those Cody rifles are great guns - the very very best out there.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All Winchester High Wall rifles - and low walls - were made with forged receivers. No castings.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
The October 2002 issue of Varmint Hunter magazine has an article on a Ballard 1885 in .225win. They mounted a Lyman Super Targetspot scope on it. If your looking for a semi-custom falling block it might be a good idea to just rebarrel a Browning M1885 and restock it with your favorite wood. [Smile] Just my thoughts.
Larry

Posts: 72 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: 27 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Taildraggin>
posted
The only issue with the Ballards I have seen and heard is that the wood grade is not up to the quality of the rest of the rifle. Their ad sort of backs this up (there's a small knot in the wrist of a very straight grained walnut stock). For the price, I don't find that acceptable.