Find
Notify
Tools

My new Farquharson. . .
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted
I got this a couple of months ago and am just now finding the time to take pics. It is the pride of my collection and thought you all might enjoy seeing it. WJ Jeffery 450/400 3" 100% original and unmessed with. Note the unusual rear sight and screw in the back upper part of the left action wall--this is a rare factory provision for a scope mount and as depicted in Wal Winfer's third volume. Serial # dates it to 1903.

[URL=

Complete album: farquharson pics

One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a fine and beautiful rifle. Congratuations!

Have you taken her out to stretch her legs?

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
That is NICE!!!
I want one Smiler

Enjoy!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words. Don't stumble across these everyday. Haven't shot her yet, but am dying to. Bore got a good scrubbing and is bright w/ square rifling, no pits or cordite burn so she should shoot!
Looking forward to drawing down on an elk or buff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent rifle and a caliber with lots of options for ammo.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Grouser:

This a truly magnificent rifle. Thank you for the pictures.

I think the Jeffery configuration to be my favorite of all the Farquharson rifles. The chambering is perfect as well.

How much does the rifle weigh?

Best regards,

Glenn Fewless

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Thanks again guys. Glenn, don't have a scale handy but I'm guessing around 9lbs or perhaps a little less. I agree about the Jeffery variants looking the best, but they're all beautiful. I especially appreciate the deeply contoured forearm--it rides perfectly in your hand and is a dream to carry.
Another neat feature is the stepped barrel which is pretty beefy back towards the action where the pressures are high, then steps down in taper to maintain reasonable weights for the rest of its length. This also keeps weight between the hands. They certainly knew what they were doing...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
understated elegance!! congrats!

DRSS

Posts: 1152 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill, stop showin' off! What's next, your 600 NE single shot?

Posts: 20111 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Uhhhh, cool rifle... Bill you have a lot of nice toys!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7538 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Do you have a photo of the front sight? I'm looking for ideas for a Swinburn's Patent Martini I'm going to return to centerfire and am having trouble finding front sight photos for ideas.

Is that a Lyman peep sight? Is it original?

Thanks.

Rem

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Thanks all-clocked 105 hours this last week at work and just coming up for air. . .
Biebs, wish I had a 600 single! Maybe someday and thanks Russell-the rifle I got from you certainly rounds out my battery.
The rear is an original Lyman aperature sight and more than happy to take some pics of it and the front sight if you you all can give me until the weekend. Thanks again for the nice comments, I really love this one.
Cheers,
Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by degoins:
understated elegance!! congrats!

+2

What a treasure!!!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Great acquisition.

I particularly like that type of Farquharson action.

Jeffery Farquharsons have a lot in common with the Gibbs military breech loader version of the Farquharson.

Very simple and elegant.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13440 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Rem 40X,
Should be able to post some pics of the sight arrangements for you tomorrow pm. Didn't have time this weekend.
I'll try to post some better pics of the rest of the rifle while I'm at it.
Cheers,
Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW! and WOW!

Thanks for sharing the pictures...a stunning rifle!

"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet. But have a plan on how to kill them." From an old Marine.

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Beautiful tu2

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
had a 600 single! Maybe someday and thanks Russell-the rifle I got from you certainly rounds out my battery.
The rear is an original Lyman aperature sight and more than happy to take some

Stunning! A great find

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Westley Richards Farq 600NE:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another beauty!! Thanks for sharing!!

DRSS

Posts: 1152 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
FYI, I just posted this rifle for sale on the classifieds.
Thanks,
Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, you bought this fine classic just to flip? I am amszed at the gall to post such a fine rifle just for strokes. Just put it in the classifieds and be done with it. I am ashamed I bothered to read this post and am wasting time writing this.

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, you bought this fine classic just to flip? I am amszed at the gall to post such a fine rifle just for strokes. Just put it in the classifieds and be done with it. I am ashamed I bothered to read this post and am wasting time writing this.

Sorry you feel that way (not really). Like the rest of us, Bill has moments of passion for a particular firearm, which may or may not be lasting. It all depends on what catches our fancy as it becomes available. That's what being a "rifle nut" is all about. I've been through probably several hundred rifles in my lifetime; some from the greatest makers with values sold up to almost $30K. I guess in your eye, I REALLY gaul you. Can't say that means a whole lot to me.

PS: What's next, Grouser???

Posts: 20111 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Frith:

Stephen

thumbdown
You should be ashamed of yourself!

Posts: 3240 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
quote:

Stephen

You arrogant prick. Beware of making public inferences based on pure speculation. Most of us have to get burned but once before we learn to keep our mouths shut without the full story.

Here's your turn-my Dad died 10/29 and I'm selling some of my prized possessions to help settle his estate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, sorry to hear about your father.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill. I am very sorry to hear about your dad. My sincere condolensces.

Sincerest wishes, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1912 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry to hear about your Dad. I lost my Mom this year and it is really the pitts!

Dave

One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the condolences. Lord Frith, I came off harshly, but you misjudged me, my situation and motivations for selling this rifle.

My Dad was a hell of a neat guy-was a DI in the USMC and responsible for my love of shooting and hunting. Sadly Alzheimer's robbed both of us of a few last hunts we both wanted to take.

Go now and enjoy the time together.

Jon and Ben-thank you.

Bill

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
quote:

Stephen

An apology will end this. I've done the same thing but did not hesitate to make it right with the offended party.

Va, I'm sorry for your loss. My dad is 86, a WWII Marine vet and is sliding downhill rapidly. I do not look forward to going through what you have been. Prayers to you and your family.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I am very sorry to have only now just read this. My sincere condolences and heartfel best wishes. Time will help you recover and focus solely on the best of times you had together.
I still sit back and daydream about my dad and the times we spent playing ball and planning for the future. Even during his last week with me we were planning on how to finally make our Africa hunt a reality.
Rifles will come and go but I am very sad that you were forced to sell your sweety. I am almost that sad I couldn't just take it.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vagrouser:
quote:

Stephen

You arrogant prick. Beware of making public inferences based on pure speculation. Most of us have to get burned but once before we learn to keep our mouths shut without the full story.

Here's your turn-my Dad died 10/29 and I'm selling some of my prized possessions to help settle his estate.

Bill,

My heart goes out to you for your loss. I meant you no harm. Just wish there was some disclosure regarding the seeming quick posting of a rifle most of us would give...well body parts for. I stand apologetic and upbraided. From now on I will post nothing but suggestions to those soliciting.

Sorry again,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote