THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    New custom .303 British single shot first shots

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New custom .303 British single shot first shots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a beautiful .303 British single shot rifle at DSC auction (well. Dr. Scott bid on it for me, so I guess technically he bought it) that was built by members of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild and donated, Truly a masterpiece. Some would stick it in their safe and take it out to admire and show off, I will do this, but I also will be shooting it. The rifle was regulated with the traditional 215 gr load, which I could not find bullets for, so I loaded 50 cases with 174 grain bullets to about 80% of maximum, pretty mild load. I set up a target at 50 yards and shot from a bench with a good rest and produced the group seen in the photo (assuming it attached). By my measurement, it is a less than .75" group with iron sights! The fact that is 4" below my aiming point make no difference to me...this was just to see if it would shoot and I'll work on getting it to point of aim soon. The ACGM members did a very good job with this one!

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Small groups are good, but We want to see pics of the rifle! Please.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Small groups are good, but We want to see pics of the rifle! Please.

Ha! I will post a few pictures as soon as I can manage.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waiting in anticipation.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
So am I. The .303 deserves more respect than it seems to get these days.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a few photos of the rifle, I'll try and take some better photos and get them posted as well.

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Wow Karl, that's a nice rifle! Beautiful wood, tasteful engraving

on a great action. Plus the 303 British is a nice caliber for almost

all North American game! Great purchase & congrats!

Posts: 519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! That is a beautiful rifle indeed. I should think it might want to see some african plains game. Cheers luke

Posts: 352 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl, you can get those 215 grain bullets from Hawk Bullets. Great bullets too. cheers luke

Posts: 352 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Karl, that rifle would seem to be a masterpiece in every detail.
Wish I still had my Corbin swaging press and dies, with which I made .312 225s and I would send you 100. Someone on AR bought the whole outfit from me 30-plus years ago.
Lest anyone doubt the effectiveness of the .303 in practiced hands, find a copy of Edouard Foa's "After Big Game in Central Africa." It will make you a beleiver.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone who commented, I do plan on taking it to Africa this summer, I will post a few more detailed photos as time allows as well as mention the gunmakers who contributed, in my opinion they did a very good job!

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the rib is inletted for Talley scopemounts. Awesome rifle in a great caliber.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the rib is cut for mounts, not sure which mounts it takes but will find out.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Righteous! What Action?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s a recreated Fraser action, I’ll post full details tomorrow.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful rifle!

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magnificent!!! Thanks for sharing.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. I would assume a Steve Earle action.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Now THAT is a wonderful rifle!

I had a Fraser in 303 for a time but for some reason I cannot remember, I sold it.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
A stunning rifle and glad to see it's a shooter too! Congrats on a wonderful legacy rifle...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Karl,

That is a very classy rifle.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truly a lovely Rifle ....
From the looks of that 3 shot group I would shoot it as is
My last 2 trips to Africa I left the scoped Rifles behind
Just Wow enjoy

Posts: 1610 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing, beautiful rifle!

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It looks like you got a winner, Karl.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! It really is a nice rifle, I now have the bullet weight it was regulated with and will hopefully have it shooting much closer to the aiming point very soon. I’ll be seeing if any of the guys coming to the little AR big bore shoot want to give it a try. I bet they do!

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does that rifle have duel extractors?

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote