THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    # 1 Tropical in 375 H&H.......What needs to be Done to it?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

# 1 Tropical in 375 H&H.......What needs to be Done to it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys,

I'm thinking about buying one of these and not EVER having owned a #1 I need some serious advice.

I intend to restock the gun if I'm happy with it.

WHAT do I need to have done to the rifle to ensure it shoots to it's maximum potential?

I was thinking along the line of a Kepplinger trigger and the Accurizer fixture from Brownells or is that a waste of time? What needs to be done to the hanger bar etc??

Anything else...........all suggestions are welcome!!!!!!!

Thanks and regards,

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, of course, "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Lots of them are ok with no mods at all. The trigger is the most likely item to need attention. I have a Moyer's on my newer (non-adjustable trigger) #1B and like it very much.
I don't know how much target shooting you plan to do with a .375 H&H but doubt the forearm hanger would need much attention with that nice truck axle sized barrel. Get it, shoot it, and then fix the things you don't like. Enjoy!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon,

Sounds like very sound advice to me mate.

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. It is much appreciated.

All the best,

Blair.

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not a thing. i've been shooting #1's for almost 20 years and have never had any trouble of any kind out of the ones (3) i've got.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blair, I have got a 375 H&H #1. Its one of the older red pads. Frankly, the stock shape is all wrong for me. Too straight, not enough down pitch towards the front and I need a little cast off, I think. Mine was starting to split behind the tang so I hogged out the wood and glassed it and carved on the stock to get a little better fit. Its OK, but not great. I had to add a real recoil pad and put a mercury tube in the bolt hole to get where I could shoot it comfortably. I also ovaled out one of the screw holes in the rib. The rib was in a pretty bad bind so I relieved the pressure on it.

In all it shoots very nicely and thumps hogs with authority.

Josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JoshA,

Thanks for that. I have a left master eye and so shoot from my left shoulder. If I restock that will be the time to fix those things. thumb

degoins,

Sounds bloody good to me, thats a good run for your money................ thumb

Blair.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a #1 .375. It would string top to bottom untill I tapped a headless 6/32 screw through the front end of the hanger and applied pressure to the barrel. That cured the problem and has since taken two bears with as many shots. Your .375 dosen't need prairie dog acuracy and when I got mine down to an inch at 100 I called it good

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Akshooter,

Will the Brownells Accurizer achieve the same thing??

Thanks mate,

Blair.

Blair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blair,
i hope i didnt jinx myself by posting that!! Wink

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll be right mate thumb

Smiler

Blair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah i think so too. and i will have to have one in 450/400 when they're available. Smiler

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Blair338/378 WBY

I havent used the Brownells but From what little I've heared about it I think it's desinged to address the same problem. I don't know what they want for there accurizer but for under $1.00 you could have the 6-32 screw or any size that's not to big to fit on the hanger.

I did the same for my #1 .300 win and that along with a lot of load testing brought it from a 2" shooter out of the box down to 1/2".

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair338/378:
Akshooter,

Will the Brownells Accurizer achieve the same thing??

Thanks mate,

Blair.

Yes, but at a price. What is convenience worth to you? I have a Ruger #1B in .300 Win. Mag. with the hanger drilled and tapped to regulate barrel vibrations. If I want to change bullet weights, I have to fremove the forearm, make an adjustment, put the forearm back on, try the load ad nauseum.
With the Brownell's system , you have a hole drilled into the forearm which makes it easy to make adjustments without removing the forearm.
I suppose one could drill a hole to reach the set screw in the forearm hanger, but the Brownell system makes it a lot easier to locate where the hole should be.
BTW, that "Brownell" thing is actually a Hicks Accurizer and you can also get them from E.A. Brown.
Frankly, and I have 18 Ruger #1s in various configurations, only two have needed something for the forearm hanger and only was was so bad it had to go back to Ruger for a new barrel.
My #1H in .375 H&H is a one inch gun as is. Why would I want it to be any more accurate? The critters it's designed to shoot have pretty big kill zones. lol
The only change I would make is replace that ridiculous piece of crap Ruger calls a pad and put on a Pachmeyer Decelerator or Limbsaver pad.
I'd shoot the gun as is for a while and see just what it will do. It just might ne fine the way it is.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair338/378:
Guys,

I'm thinking about buying one of these and not EVER having owned a #1 I need some serious advice.

I intend to restock the gun if I'm happy with it.

WHAT do I need to have done to the rifle to ensure it shoots to it's maximum potential?

I was thinking along the line of a Kepplinger trigger and the Accurizer fixture from Brownells or is that a waste of time? What needs to be done to the hanger bar etc??

Anything else...........all suggestions are welcome!!!!!!!

Thanks and regards,

As Jon said, "if it ain't broke..." You MAY need a better trigger. I did for my No. 1 .375 H&H. But it shot 1.5" groups at 100 yards, and 1.8" groups at 200 yards with nothing more done to it than mounting a 1.5-5X Leupold on it in Ruger rings...... And that was BEFORE the new trigger.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul B/ El Deguello,

Paul B, thanks for the back ground on the Accurizer..........convenience is always a good thing Big Grin 18 # 1's ...........whew!!

That gun shot well EVEN before the new trigger El Deguello thumb I was thinking of installing a Kepplinger, shoot it and then proceed from there.

Thanks , once again for the feedback guys.

Cheers,

Blair.