Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Contender Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted
I just bought this and don't have it in my hands yet but I thought it as a beautiful little rifle. It has new 24" blue barrel from Van Horn barrels in 6mm 225 Improved (6mm JDJ). The barrel is half round/half octagon with an etching of a running cougar on top. This is a new stainless contender frame with a new Mesquite stock and forearm from Bullberry. The Bullberry wood dresses it up and is a very classy design, not as chunky as some of his I have. I will probably swap this last generation SS contender action for one of my blue ones. I look forward to shooting it when my current work/job assignment ends. It also has a steel weaver style base attached.

"One shot is usually enough..."

Posts: 487 | Location: OK | Registered: 02 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Very interesting rifle! Very pretty. Smiler

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice beautiful wood

God loves you

Posts: 107 | Location: sumner, wa | Registered: 18 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mate thats great,if i was better with computers I would post mine on here. If someone can PM me I am happy to send a picture for them to paost for me.cheers

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. Tell me about the caliber.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
This is chambered for the 225 Winchester case necked up to 6mm and improved. Out of a barrel this long, it should shoot warm handloads about like a factory 250 savage load in the lighter than 100 gr bullet loadings. The 225 is a semi rimmed case larger in volume than a 223 but not as big as 22-250.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
very nice I have allways love light single shot rifles. I have a few but so far not a contender carbine. I have a contender pistol with a whole bunch of barrels but I guess I just need to get off my but and get a rifle built.

Thanks eskimo 36 for the nice photo's this helps spur me on since your's is so nice I want one too.

zhaba PM sent.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Here's the T/C carbine zhaba wanted to share,
Looks like another very nice T.C. You guys are killing me by realizeing my dreams without my input.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
That is a great piece of walnut on that gun with excellent checkering....

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful package that just begs to be carried through the woods. Thanks for posting this photo.

One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
Love the half round/half oct barrel...wish I had one!!!!!
The wood is nice also.

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
And here I'd decided that Contenders were too homely to own.
Those are some nice rifles. Cool

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big thanks to Akshooter for posting my picture.I see someone asked on another topic why anyone would want to buy one of these and I think these two pictures should answer that question.For me it was a present to myself for my 40th birthday this year,last few years haven't been so good and i thought to hell with it I want a nice toy to play with and this is the result. couldn't be happier with it and it shoot like a dream tu2

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eskimo36:
I just bought this and don't have it in my hands yet but I thought it as a beautiful little rifle. It has new 24" blue barrel from Van Horn barrels in 6mm 225 Improved (6mm JDJ). The barrel is half round/half octagon with an etching of a running cougar on top. This is a new stainless contender frame with a new Mesquite stock and forearm from Bullberry. The Bullberry wood dresses it up and is a very classy design, not as chunky as some of his I have. I will probably swap this last generation SS contender action for one of my blue ones. I look forward to shooting it when my current work/job assignment ends. It also has a steel weaver style base attached.

Very Nice!!

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zhaba:
Big thanks to Akshooter for posting my picture.I see someone asked on another topic why anyone would want to buy one of these and I think these two pictures should answer that question.For me it was a present to myself for my 40th birthday this year,last few years haven't been so good and i thought to hell with it I want a nice toy to play with and this is the result. couldn't be happier with it and it shoot like a dream tu2

Tell us about it.Who did the wood???What caliber????Thats also a nice looking rifle!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock I found on the luxus walnut website. The rifle is a pro hunter in 300 Win mag with a Swarvoski 2.5-15x44 Z6i scope. I plan to use is for hunting here at home in Aussie and set the blaser up for hunting overseas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple that I stocked myself. Not anything even close to the two posted above. But, I wouldn't trade them. One in 22 hornet with a factory 21 inch barrel, the other in 223 with the 24 inch bull barrel. Shooters both. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I own Encore rifles but have never owned a contender rifle. I am told the Contender trigger is better and its a thinner receiver. Any other differences, other than caliber selection?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That improved 225 Winchester case is quite efficient. I get 2300fps out of my 6.5JDJ handgun with a 120gr BT w/ a 15" bbl. without pushing it to the limits. An excellent cartridge for game up to about 400lbs. with good bullets like the 125/140gr partition or whitetails with the 120gr BT. The 6mmJDJ should be just as good. 36 - That is a real beauty.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote