THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Help me with scope mounts for an antique Stevens

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me with scope mounts for an antique Stevens
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have inherited my great-grandfather's Steven's .22 LR target rifle and I would like to mount a scope on it. It is built on a Steven's 44 frame and comes with the original Steven's target scope, but is very dirty inside and not a good choice for hunting squirrels or punching paper. It comes with the original peep-site as well, but I am afflicted with keratoconus and cannot focus on open sights worth a hoot. I'd like to find some bases that will fit this rifle without retapping the barrel, because I won't do that because of the value of the gun. It has a Pope target barrel on it and is in 90% condition, it was built in the early 1900's and still shoots one hole groups at 50 feet (shot by my brother, not me, he doesn't have keratoconus). If pictures would help the recommendation, I can provide them. Any help is appreciated, and no, the gun is not for sale. [Smile]
Sincerely,
Yardbird

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your rifle typically had a long scope mounted and that's why the current mounts are a little funky. Get that scope serviced, what markings does it have? Check with Parsons Scope Service, he services old scopes and does an excellent job (I've used him).
see http://www.parsonsscopeservice.com/

Another source is Unertl Optics, click on pricing to see current costs for the classic scopes
http://unertloptics.com/products/

If you need a scope with more power, check out eBay. Search for 'Litschert', 'Lyman scope' or 'Unertl' or 'redfield 3200'. Be advised that these can be pretty pricey, $300-$1000 depending on condition and power. Power ranges from 4x to 30x.

jeff

Posts: 128 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote