New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg Gunsmiths are idiots!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Mossberg SSI 1 in 30-'06 that has been back to the factory two times, returned to me two times, and has yet to be fixed!

You see, the rifle is headspaced waaaay too long. The first indication of this was the factory ammo I bought to create brass with, misfired one out of every five shots, and the ones that did fire had backed-out primers and blow-by burns.

So I sent it back.

It was returned with no explanation of what they did to fix it. So I take it to the range, and same thing -- misfires, backed-out primers and funky looking brass. This time I decided to try hand loading. I found out that if I neck sized just enough to hold a bullet, the round was tight enough in the chamber to allow contact with the firing pin, and it shot fairly well. Unfortunately, one out of every 20-or-so shots was still a misfire.

So I sent it back.

Again it was returned without explanation. And again, IT WAS NOT FIXED! So, I took it to a local gunsmith. He looked at the brass and said it was obvious that the chamber is oversized. Then he produced a set of U.S. Military 30-'06 go-gauges. Of course the "go" gauge chambered with no problem. Then the "no go" closed with no problem (which it should not have done). Then the "field gauge" (also known as the "war only" gauge) shut without resistance. This, he said, is an absolute no-no. there is no way that rifle should have locked up on that gauge.

So what do I do now? I have no confidence at all in Mossberg's ability to fix this problem. It's not that I don't have something to hunt with (I've got a different rifle for each day of the month), But when I buy something, I want it to work!

It's no wonder that Mossberg has taken that POS rifle off the market. They would never admit it, but I bet they let a lot of guns out of the door mis-reamed.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Buy junk, get junk. It serves you right for believing the crap in the gun rags.

Seriously, send the gun back with an explanation and the gunsmith's findings (that the rifle closed on 'no go' and 'field' gauges). Demand a refund. If they give you guff, contact your state attorney general's office.

There's no excuse for sending out a rifle with excessive headspace three times.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you know a lawyer who'll do you a favor, send it back one more time with your complaints on his letterhead.

Works wonders.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I owned one of these p.o.s.'es. Sold it two week later. The thing would pattern about like a shotgun at 50 yards. tried hand loads with on succese. That was by far the worst shooting .223 rem I ever had or herd of! I would feel bad for the guy that bought it ,but he uses it to shot pigs in the head after he's trapped them. I guess he got his 25 bucks worth.

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote