THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Single Shot collection-where would you begin?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single Shot collection-where would you begin?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted
So I'm thinking I want to begin a single shot rifle collection. I have a couple of Encore rifles, a TCR 83 with multiple barrels and even a Blaser K-95. So what suggestions do you have?

Obviously, a Ruger #1 or two will need to be involved somewhere along the way.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Sharps for one. And while others may laugh, an H&R Handi Rifle. I have one in 45-70 and the Buffalo Classic in 45-70. They are two of my favorite 45-70's to shoot.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I've seen the hagn action before and it makes a beautiful rifle. I'm not sure that I'm heeled enough to one of these.

one of us
posted Hide Post
First of all I think it is important to start your collection with the rifles you like. Decide early on what you really like and decide if you are going to collect the name or the calibers or the particular style.\
A good friend of mine started off with Saddle Ring Carbines. He now has nearly every variation of lever made by Winchester including variations of caliber. Some of them 3 and more deep.
Once you get a few dozen lined up decide if you are going to expand or concentrate. Will they all be falling blocks or rolling blocks. Break opens or will you be happier with variety.
As long as you like them you will continue to collect them.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Hi Frank and thanks for the good information. I appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

I failed to mention that I have a TCR 83 with some additional barrels. It's a beautiful rifle and makes a great walk around platform.

one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
I have encores, contenders, G2s, Ruger #1's and H&R's. I am a lefty and after growing up on right handed bolts, I could never adjust to a left handed bolt gun. I like all single shots...I just can't afford the high end stuff...yet. Some of my single shots I was drawn to by price, some by caliber and some by just being pretty. More quality single shots are in my future and hopefully a double at some point in time.

"One shot is usually enough..."

Posts: 487 | Location: OK | Registered: 02 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I would love to have a double rifle but don't want or need a safari caliber. I seem to remember a maker here in the US that makes a double in standard calibers. Might be worth checking out.

one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
9.3x74r would be my caliber of choice...

"One shot is usually enough..."

Posts: 487 | Location: OK | Registered: 02 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I have a 9,3x62 for my R93 Blaser but haven't shot it yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
May I suggest the Martini Cadet? Small but supremely strong for its size and as accurate as the BEST bolt rifle sporters, bar none!

Caliber choices are limited but there are a few splendid cartridges suited for the little action, from the 17 Hornet up to the 35-30/30 Improved and 44 Magnum, with the 223 Rem and 7-30 Waters in between. A winning Benchrest rifle could be built using the 30-30 Wesson cartridge in a Cadet; I have the reamer (thanks, Tom!) and am hoping for another donor action soon.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Lyle:
So I'm thinking I want to begin a single shot rifle collection. I have a couple of Encore rifles, a TCR 83 with multiple barrels and even a Blaser K-95. So what suggestions do you have?

Obviously, a Ruger #1 or two will need to be involved somewhere along the way.

Cliff,

I'm not a collector, so take my 2 cents for what its worth:

I love the history in old rifles! I would be most interested in the rifles from the 1800s - Like the 50-70 Gov't, an original trapdoor Springfield or a 50-90 Sharps.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got started on single shots by chance, but now I am hooked I have a total of 9 Winchester 1885 Low Walls 17hmr, 22lr,357 mag, 44 mag, 45 colt, 223, 243, 22 hornet, and 260 rem, 3 Winchester High Wall in 45-70(2ea) one a BPCR and a traditional hunter, and one in 30-06, I also have a Hagn Style rifle being built in 300 H&H, I have two Hall F actions one is already build in 308 Palma, the second action is being built now in 338-74r Keith. So you can see I have no self control.RNB

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 06 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cliff, I'll tell you what I know about No.1s ,I had a 1A 7x57 over 20 years ago. I fought with that rifle for 15 years, shoots good ,shoots bad, year after year. Really liked it but we parted ways. Always thought about that rifle then about 2 1/2yrs. ago I bought a 1H .405 and in the following time have added 5 more no.1s. Newer ones shoot better out of the box but if you want to collect No.1s find the very early ones. Especially the No.1 H model my favorite.
Good Luck kidd

Posts: 141 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. rnb, sounds like you and I have been drinking out of the same well. I am not known for self control...

kidd, you are spot on with your recommendation of #1's. Red pads are where I am looking and will most likely begin with the RSI. I seem to remember a certain model of #1 that had special wood. Does anyone remember what that was?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's an example of a new take on an old rifle. Original Winchester low wall with new everything else in 22LR, a mighty accurate little squirrel rifle.

Working on another one right now.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1 Liberty Model in 257 Roberts...
Trapdoor in 50-70 if you can find one. There are three versions of the Allin (sp?) conversion

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one at a time Big Grin

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Butch, you are so right...

Idaho SS, I like the 257 Roberts and a #1 in it would be really special. Good idea.

Thanks to all.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Falling blocks:
Ruger #1
Dakota 10
Win/Browning Hi-wall
Win/Browning Low-wall
Martini

Hagn
Fraser (Griffin)
Wesson

Redl
Hauk (sp)

Sharps

Farquharsen
D. Fraser
Henry
Hereen
a slew of indi euro stuff

Rem. Rolling block:

Break opens:
H&R
Knight
Encore
Blaser
Merkel?
and a slew of indi euro vintage stuff

Posts: 6400 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
AND Hepburn Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Eeker I didn't know there were so many single shots out there. I'd better focus a bit more.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I would suggest reading up on the vintage single shots before you jump in the deep end.
Decide what era appeals to you.
What visions run through your head when you are daydreaming of carrying your single shot afield?
Personally, I never fantasized about carrying an Encore or an H&R out after African plains game Smiler
IMO, you can't go wrong with a good Farquharson - be it a Jeffery, trade farq, or for sure a George Gibbs.
Same goes for good Westley Richards '97s and Webley '02s.
Bought right, these will hold their value and always be in demand.
Plus, modern singles just don't have that feel or romance that a good Brit single does.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And don't skip past the little guys either.
I always enjoy shooting (even when they don't fit as well) the Stevens Crack Shot and other "Boy's" rifles.
The older guns are much better made but the little Rossi's are affordable and a way to get in and build up trading and selling stock when the really sweet one's come along. The Martini Henry's and Farquharsen and the Hepburn as mentioned above.

Richj would you have photos of the Hereen? Can't say I have even seen one.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
a few pics I saved. There a guy that's attends the Vega Gun show at the Riviera that has a full stock in 7x57. Heard the ejector is of poor design.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cliff,
My interest kept taking me back to the Ruger #1. My collection is still in its early stages: 1A's in 257 Roberts, 6.5x55, 35 Whelen, and 7x57; 1RSI in 7x57; 1S in 300 win mag; and 1H in 375 H&H.

I've owned a number of other single shots including the Encore, Contender, Contender G2 and Browning 1885. All are interesting to me, but the #1 is the one that trips my trigger (LOL sorry).

Another I would consider collecting is the 1885. They are more difficult to come by and a little more expensive, but everyone I've ever looked at has been a fine rifle.

In the end, the direction your personal collection takes is your choice. That's the great thing about personal collections. They reflect the owner's personality, goals, and preferences.

just my 2
Ken

Posts: 190 | Location: Mountains of Virginia | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of single shot rifles aquired over years. I did not collect them. They chose me!

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Richj,
Thanks for posting such a beautiful rifle. The trigger arrangement is quite interesting but the workmanship looks really top flight.

Ken,
I hear what you are saying. I'm looking at making the #1 a part of the collection and I am very drawn to the RSI. The 1885's I have an interest in are the recent Browning models. I like the 78's as well.

gwahir,
I know what you mean. I feel as though there are some that just speak to me and I feel very obligated to take them home Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cliff,

the starter Ruger #1 you want is in the classifieds. In 1976 Ruger stamped their firearms "Made in the 200th Year of American Liberty." A gentleman has one in 243 for sale there.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cliff
I have a great idea for a single shot. Its the Cooper MTV you verbally purchased from me a month or so ago, than backed out of, for "reasons beyond your control." I am guessing the quest for a different single shot is what's beyond your control.

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Dean,
You are correct. I did verbally agree to purchase your Cooper. I had to back out for reasons beyond my control. I apologized to you and truly feel badly for doing so as I have never done anything like that before. I also offered to try to make it right with you but did not receive a reply, other than your put down.

I apologized to you personally and will do so again publicly. The circumstances were personal and financial.

My post here was to initiate a conversation and gain information from others. Thank you for adding to the forum.

I hope you feel vindicated better now that you have publicly embarrassed me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cliff,

I'd guess things happen. I have, sadly, been on both ends of deals here and elsewhere.

Technically a Cooper isn't a single shot anyway, it's a non-repeating bolt action.

Consider yourself castigated, beaten, and hung upside from the castle wall for the rest of the day.

regards,

Rich

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I certainly don't feel very good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cliff, move on and do what is right for you and your family. Asking about for the opinions of others isn't spending funds you might have thought were available and the above posting should have had the wherewithall to keep that matter private.
Remember that by gathering information now you will be better prepared to make an informed decision later.

Richj thanks for posting the photos. A very interesting design for sure. Cannot say it is for me but interesting nonetheless.
Frank

By the way, when I get back home I will post a couple of photos of my newest single shot. A nice little .577 Snider conversion. I would encourage lots of others to post as well so we can all get a little eye-candy.
Frank

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Thanks Frank. That was the intent of the thread.
Please post photos as there are many, really nice single shot models I have never seen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We forgive you...

tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back to the single shots. I would start with one like JD's only without all the stuff I can't afford. A simple low wall in 22 LR or, be still my heart, a 22 hornet would be great. I'd describe it in detail but it would take me a week of mourning to get over it. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Good idea. I like the Browning reproduction 1885 & 78's and there is a good caliber selection

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
Here's an example of a new take on an old rifle. Original Winchester low wall with new everything else in 22LR, a mighty accurate little squirrel rifle.

Working on another one right now.
Regards, Joe

That is one sexy rifle!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Bought my first Sharps 15 years ago, liked them bought more. Darned if I didn't end up with a collection that everyone wants to see!

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote