Find
Notify
Tools

Trapdoor H&R
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
My cousin got this one from her fathers estate. H&R Trapdoor.

Posts: 6401 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I remember those from the 70s; they were well made nice rifles.
The 1970s I mean.

Posts: 17129 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifles.
They did have some problems with some of those poping open when fired. the empty case usualy being ejected.

The problem was that the cam latch shaft is round and the thumb piece is fitted to it and held with a simple set screw.

If the set screw loosens, the thumb latch position may give a false indication that the locking cam at the other end has the breech block locked all the way shut when it isn't.

The usual fix was to pin the thumb latch to the locking cam spindle.

Not everyone of these had the issue. Just some surprised their owners/shooters with self ejection.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one of the auto ejectors. It soon became someone else's problem.

Posts: 712 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
My first Trapdoor was an H&R carbine. Running that big Lyman 457125 "gummint boolit" over a case full of compressed black sure let your skinny college kid's clavicle know that you had fired a serious rifle with poor form.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16416 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like mine, the only issue is that when the rear sight is all the way lowered, you cannot see it due to hinge block being too high. The originals are grooved on top the hinge block, but the H&R is not.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Automatic shell ejection. Sounds like a semi-automatic single shot. Smiler

Posts: 83 | Location: Brownstown, PA | Registered: 04 January 2022Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the H&R Officer's Model
Replica. One of the most nicely balanced and pleasant to carry, rifles I own. GD

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote