THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Calling Bobby Tomek - 30-30 AI Info

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling Bobby Tomek - 30-30 AI Info
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted
I've got a Bullberry pistol in 30-30 AI that I really enjoy shooting. I'm thinking about getting a 30-30 AI rifle barrel to go with it and thought you could share your hunting/reloading experience with this cartridge in rifle form. I have an Encore frame...

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I actually wound up with 2 30-30 AI Contender barrels: a 24" TC Custom Shop model and a 23" special run stainless, both in untapered format.

As you already know, cases are easy to form, and you can even use factory ammo. Formed cases stretch minimally and will last indefinitely.

The top loads for these barrels include 38 grains Varget under the 150 grain BT or Accubond for 2577 fps (2579 w/ Accubond) in the blued barrel and 41 grains H380 with the 150 grain BT for 2588 fps in the SS tube.

Book specs call for a case length of 2.0" for the Ackley round, but chambers are almost always cut with the max OAL of the parent cartridge in mind. Both of mine are at least 2.0395" long.

I took a hog a while back using the 24" blued barrel and the 150 grain AB. The range was 280 yards, and bullet performance was perfect and dropped the hog in its tracks.

If my health permits me any whitetail hunting (rifle season begins 11-6), one of these is likely to get the nod. I actually planned to sell one of these duplicate barrels as I don't need 2, but they shoot so well that I can't make up my mind... Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9344 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for!

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
No problem! I'd give matchgrademachine.com a call when it's time to order. They have a quick turnaround and have exceptional quality.

My 2nd choice would be sskindustries.com

And while Bullberry barrels are generally exceptionally accurate, their turnaround can range from several months to a year or more. I am not patient and would lose interest in a specific round after such a waiting period, so the Bullberry barrels I have owned have all been purchased used. Smiler

Of course, it can't hurt to call Ed Kirkpatrick, either. You can get the # from his website. His website is almost never updated and only shows a fraction of what he actually has, so you'll need to phone him (he isn't the best at returning e-mails as he stays very busy). At any given time, he'll have several hundred barrels on hand.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9344 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Thanks again! I also have a MGM barrel in 22 K Hornet that I took to Africa in July.

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
What's your 125 gr BT load?

one of us
posted Hide Post
450/400

If you go to Speciality Pistol and do a search you will find a bunch of 30-30AI data.

shortgun

Posts: 147 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
I shot the H380, 150 gr BT load today in my 12" Encore and I really like it. I also shot some loads with I4198 (28-30 grs) and 125 gr Sierras. I am getting MOA with both loads at 100 yards without making any scope adjustments. Basically they all go in the same square inch at 100 if that makes sense.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Bobby if you get ready to sell one of these 30-30 barrels give me a hollar!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
I chronographed the 150 BT/41 gr H380 load yesterday out of my 12" Bullberry and got an average 2060 fps...which was much lower than I thought it would be!