New
Find
Notify
Tools

FK NEF!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just called to ask what the rate of twist was on a 223 superlite. the lady was "mildly" rude off the bat. then she asked if i already owned one or if i was going to buy one.
i informed her that that depended on if the rate of twist would stabalize heavy bullets.
she said that a rifle could be a 1/12" or it could be a 1/9". and that i would have to have one in hand to tell.
I explained that i wasnt going to buy one if it wasnt a 1/9" and my dealer wasnt going to order one if i wasnt sure i would buy it.
she said "well thats the way it is".
i aske dif i bought one and it was a 1/12" could i send it back to be fit w/ a 1/9".
she said no "we wouldnt do that".
I asked why the difference and she said they would ALL be 1/9" eventually but there waer 1/12" still.
i asked when they would be sure that all were 1/9" and she said maybe two years.
I said " that doesnt help me much".
She said "again, thats the way it is".
Screw em.
i was going to get a 223 superlite and a 45-70 handi but i guess ill get something else.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Try getting an Encore or Contender. I've called T/C and Foxridge Outfitters numerous times with various including barrel twist rate and have always been given the information I need by a polite person.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Write a letter to the CEO of NEF detailing the "customer service" you got from his fine company. Maybe he can do better than "that's the way it is".

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 1875SharpsShooter
posted Hide Post
I agree. You need to go higher up the food chain than the "customer service rep". Sounds to me like the Darwin Theory is not working properly with this person and you would get more polite service from the Boss. NEF has a fairly good rep as I have heard, so I think another call might be in order.

SS

Whatdaya mean...........there's other calibers besides 45-70

Posts: 194 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 28 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I see what there is to gripe over here.

By nearly all accounts, H&R makes a good product; they do so for a very low asking price; and they do it with US labor. For years they have been making their .223 rifles using the correct SAAMI spec twist of 1:12". Now, they respond to the market, which wants to shoot heavier bullets than SAAMI foresaw, and so they are beginning to produce 1:9" twists. They quite reasonably expect a few of the older models to be in someone's inventory for a year or two down the road.

Why not order a Superlight in either .243 or .22 Hornet and then order a factory fresh .223 barrel? The whole lot will set you back less than a T/C carbine, with plenty of spare change.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't waste my time trying to get a 1:9" twist .223 Rem NEF/H&R, they don't have a good track record of shooting the heavier, longer bullets that typically shoot good in a 1:9" twist barrel, so far at GBO, only 2 members have reported reasonable accuracy out of them with 68gr-69gr bullets, for the rest of the shooting reports, they shoot the same 40gr-55gr bullets that the 1:12" twist barrels do. The speculation is it's loose bore specs or shallow rifling that's to blame. Regardless of the cause, the 1:9"'s reputation is poor for the bigger bullets, but they do shoot the lighter bullets great.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Grumulkin wrote:
quote:
Try getting an Encore or Contender

I must add that factory TC barrels are 1:12. But you could certainly go the custom route for a 1:9 or even a 1:8.

I had a 1:8 26" Contender barrel made by VVCG a couple of years ago that shot extremely well, especially with the 75 grain A-Max.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote