New
Find
Notify
Tools

HR handy rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How do the HR handy rifles do for accuracy? How about durability and the possibilty of improved chambers?

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most I have looked at shoot surprisingly well for an inexpensive rifle. Here is a place to read all about them if you like.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

Posts: 132 | Location: Dufur, Oregon | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an NEF bull barrel .223 Rem and a H&R Ultra in .308 Win. Both are SB2 frames. The NEF is a very good shooter, the H&R is an excellent shooter. I regularly shoot at and hit things out to 500 yards with the H&R.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really don't want their .357 max barrel, they are notorious for long throats. This way I get make sure of my chamber and leade size.
With rimmed cartridges, Handis are easy to headspace, especially now that TIG welding is so common. Its easy to build-up the hinge pivot on the barrel and cut back to the right lock-up to the breech face.

I've got a couple of different conversions up my sleeve, based on the .30-30 barrel. I'm going to reline 1 to .25 cal. and neck the .30-30 down to .25 with an Ackley type shoulder. Another will be in .22 cal, a hornet barrel rechambered to the .30-30 case. I know these will duplicate other wildcats ,but I'll have true rimmed cartridges which is where the Handis perform the best.

Thanks for the thought.

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote