New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 Factory Sights
 Login/Join

<rws2>
posted
Anybody using the factory sights on a #1? If so whats your opinion?
I'm looking at a #1 in 45-70 and was wanting to use the factory sights this would be a close quarters rifle for bear,boar and deer sighted dead on at 100yds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For open sights the ones on my #1A are ok but check that one that the comb is not too high. I had a #1S and that stock is thicker and thus I could not get my eye low enough on that one. In fact I had to change it's scope rings from low to medium.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rws,on mine I have installed the ashley peep and junked the rear sight,switched the front out to the white bead,am looking at the new mould mount that brownells has listed to replace the sight rib
it will allow me to use weaver grand slam rings and the peep will set just behind the scope.I found the adjustment on the old iron rear just a little to picky,and have found for quick running shots on pigs i do better with the peep

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I shot the factory sights for 60-70 rnds. out of my No1 416 Rem before I got a scope.

They are alright I guess, I could shoot 2" groups or so at 80 yards. I think they will work, but I like the light gathering abilities of a scope for shots at dawn or dusk.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Smitty>
posted
Dave, I was wondering how the Ashley peep mounts on the no.1. Do you need to drill and tap? I have the NECG peep on my 375. I like it but it could have slimmer lines.

<rws2>
posted
Thanks Guys!
I'm still in the thinking about this mode.If I can shoot even 4" groups at 100 I'll be happy.This would be more my eyes than the rifle.But where I plan to hunt with it at 50yds. will be a longer shot,I was thinking dead on at 100 for open woods or small openings.If all else fails I can go with a scope.
I looked at Pedersoli Sharps and Uberti High Walls at Dixie Gun Works,they were nice but awful heavy for lugging up mountains and in thick cover so I was thinking maybe a #1 in 45-70.Oh well I'll have to mull this one around a bit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Smitty,yep kind of like the NEG,but to me he Ashley seems a little more solid.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have the NECG, and am thinking of switching to the Ashley. Mine shot 3" low at 100 yards with factory irons, that was after making a call to Ruger, out of the box it was shooting 8" low with the same load, so they sent me a lower front sight, and a new rear. I am also thinking of going to the bead for the front, or maybe a firesight setup on the front.

Posts: 148 | Location: Currently located in Southern New Mexico | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote