Find
Notify
Tools

t/c encore or 1885 low wall
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted
Thinking of buying one of these in 22 hornet,What are your thoughts, price, weight, accuracy etc.
Not many of these in our country so would have my father inlaw bring it out next year.
Thanks

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Greg H>
posted
milosmate,
I have a Hornet, now a K Hornet in the 1885 Low Wall with a 2.5x8 VariX lll sitting on it. With 14.3 Grains of Lil Gun powder and 6 1/2 Rem primer it shoots 1/2 inch groups at 3275 fps. Checked this out with a Oehler 35 chrono. With 14.0 Grains of Lil Gun and a 45 grains Sierra bullets it runs about 3050 fps and shoots 3/4 inch groups. I have shot with the first load a .643 groups center to center at 200 yards and also a .860 a the same distance. these guns shoot and shoot well. They are somewhat expensive and the TC is more versatile. But for me the Low Wall is my favorite , a great walk around varmint gun, not too loud , just right for the small stuff within about 200 yards.
Good shootin' Greg H

one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg H:
milosmate,
I have a Hornet, now a K Hornet in the 1885 Low Wall with a 2.5x8 VariX lll sitting on it. With 14.3 Grains of Lil Gun powder and 6 1/2 Rem primer it shoots 1/2 inch groups at 3275 fps. Checked this out with a Oehler 35 chrono. With 14.0 Grains of Lil Gun and a 45 grains Sierra bullets it runs about 3050 fps and shoots 3/4 inch groups. I have shot with the first load a .643 groups center to center at 200 yards and also a .860 a the same distance. these guns shoot and shoot well. They are somewhat expensive and the TC is more versatile. But for me the Low Wall is my favorite , a great walk around varmint gun, not too loud , just right for the small stuff within about 200 yards.
Good shootin' Greg H

Greg,Thanks for the reply.
I already own a hornet but I am a lefty and the rifle is right handed so that is why I am thinking of changing.
Playing with the lil gun at the moment, is 14 gr the max for the k hornet?
13gr seems to be about the most I can get in the hornet case.
Do you know of any links to the low wall?
Thanks again.
milosmate

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
I have an Browning 1885 Low Wall,in .223.It shoots very well.Lots of fun gun.I like the Browning falling blocks,but do not like their bolt action guns.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Low Wall in .223 last year. Not a lot were imported into Australia so they are somewhat hard to find. This is a fine rifle. Extremely well made and very accurate. I have only two criticisms. First the plastic buttplate doesn't do justice to the rifle and I've replaced it with a thin rubber pad. Secondly, I not a big fan of the glossy epoxy finish on the stock. The stock is reasonably well figured and a quality oil finish would bring out that figure. Yes, it wouldn't be as water proof but I can live with that. I also think these epoxy finish stocks look like crap when they've got a few dings in them. They really show up.

I had a look at an Encore a while back and wasn't overly impressed. I'd take the classy little Low Wall anyday.

RJW

Posts: 71 | Location: Kununurra, Western Australia | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I LOVE my Encore.I want a 22 KHornet and a 22LR for it.Also a 22-250,300 Win mag,you get the picture...

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
With you being on the other side of the planet, I'd go with the low wall.
I own an Encore and have had to send a barrel back in, get a different
firing pin, and now need a butt stock replacement (not from over-
tightening the receiver bolt, but from a faulty piece of walnut that is
now "peeling"). The more expensive low wall may not turn out to be
the most expensive in the long run. I really like my Encore BUT a lot
more care could have been given to its production.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by milosmate:
Thinking of buying one of these in 22 hornet,What are your thoughts, price, weight, accuracy etc.
Not many of these in our country so would have my father inlaw bring it out next year.
Thanks

Being in the land of the Martini's I'm surprised you don't get a Cadet?
Lefty

Posts: 71 | Location: Mineralwells, WV | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote