THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    how accurate isthe break action single shot rifle?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how accurate isthe break action single shot rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know, compared to what? well compared to the different locking mechanisms for them.

all the time the shootgunners are carrying on about dolls head, third fasteners, underbites,and side clips.

what do these added fasteners actually do for single shot break action rifles?

thanks

[ 08-08-2002, 11:25: Message edited by: Jameister ]

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a New England Firearms break open 45-70 quite a bit. Cast bullets with B.P., tang sights.

It shoots a consistant 3-4" group at 200 yards when I do my part. I have no experience with one in a high intensity round but based on this rifles performance I intend to get one and find out.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I am more familiar w/ the T/C contender action. I know in the pistol configuration it is capable of 1/2" 100 yd groups, and would expect the same from a rifle. I'm not sure that one would get down in the .2's as a competitive bench rest gun will, but on the other hand, I think the shortcomings of the action are often overblown. Me thinks a good barrel properly chambered in a T/C has the potential for surpisingly good accuracy, maybe not the same as a good bolt gun, but not that far behind.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Seadog>
posted
When I finally decided to get a .22 Hornet, I opted for the BRNO ZBK-110. It's similar to the H&R/NEF design, though without the exposed hammer.
It is an honest 1/2inch@100yard rifle, with the proper load and some trigger work.
My newly aquired .223 Contender pistol (14" bull barrel) has shot 3/4", but I'm still working it in. A Contender Carbine should do 1/2".

<Doc_Halladay>
posted
I have an Encore with 2 barrels one is a t/c .223 that shoots on average 3/4" groups @100yds and a VVCG in 300 wsm with hot factory loads I got a couple of 1/2" groups @100yds. I should get better with handloads.....time will tell

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
In theory, a good bolt action will outshoot a good break action. You can't truely free float the barrel on a break action, and the action shouldn't be as solid as a bolt action.

<Chainsaw>
posted
At one time I owned 5 H&R/NEF single shots in .308, 30-06, two 30-30's, and a 20 guage.

I had accuracy problems with the .308 and it departed. The 30-06 was accurate but like the .308 it suffered from an occasional failure to eject a spent case. It too went down the road. The 30-30's are great little rifles. Being a rimmed case, the ejector is a half moon type and it grips the rim for positive ejection and both rifles function flawlessly. One is a 1980's model combo gun with the thinner barrel. It weighs 5 3/4 lbs. with a 1.5-5x20mm Leupold, and is a joy to carry. At 38" it is great to shoot out of a treestand as well.

I handload 130 and 140 grain Barnes XBT's for both the 30-30's and they work well at 2600+ fps velocity and have taken numerous whitetails.

I like the break action design of the H&R's and NEF's. I also have extra shotgun as well as rifled slug barrels for mine.---------Chainsaw

<bolden>
posted
I've been shooting a NEF Handi in 45/70 for 9 years and 15 deer now. Darn thing refuses to shoot over and inch with any factory/reload I've ever put through it(except Rem factory--shoots shotgun patterns in my rifle). Load it with 300 gr bullets(Sierra, Hornady, Barnes Semit-spitzers) and IMR 4198. Have loaded those at velocities ranging from 1840-2400 fps, and they're all accurate, though the top-end loads recoil pretty severely in the light rifle(8.2 lbs with scope/sling). This year the loads will run around 1900 fps. All I need for where I hunt.

<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
I have a rebarreled Browning 1885,6mmBR.I have shot.261 groups with it.I have shot smaller groups,but the were not repeatable.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Yesterday morning, I fired a 7/8", 5-shot group at 200 yards using my TC Contender in 7mm Bullberry. Scope: 3-9x40 Elite 3200 @ 9x.

That group is typical for this barrel. It has even done better. My Encore in 6.5x55 is not quite there but close.

COmpared to other actions, I say simply put a good barrel on a Contender or Encore, add a custom forend (factory forends, esp. on Encores, are accuracy-robbing gremlins) and never look back.

Posts: 9337 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Allee>
posted
I have a H&R "Ultra" in 280 Rem. that I traded for when times were harder than today.I had some doubts about this cart./rifle combo at first but its become my favorite after all.If I do my part it consistently groups 1-1.25 in.@ 100 yds from a bench rest.For the money they can be well worth it.
[Smile] Good groups!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The average, out of the box, Blaser K95 is perfectly capable of 0.5 to 1.0 MOAs with factory ammunition.
I reckon John R. Sundra tested one of them for Rifle Magazine, or maybe Handloader, and this is the kind of accuracy he reported on.
I handload, and never had trouble with select loads to be around the 0.5 MOA mark, with 3 shot groups. Being a light weight, the K95 wears a rather skinny barrel which heats up fast, so I never fire 5 shot groups.
On the other hand being a single shot hunting rifle, who wouild care for 5 shot groups?
montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I have a Thompson-Center TCR with double-set triggers. With its' .22/250 barrel, it shoots 1/2 MOA. With its' .30/06 barrel, it shoots 1.5 MOA. With its' .243 Win. barrel, it shoots patterns, not groups!! So I guess the accuracy is very dependent upon the quality of the barrel in these break-action guns!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
From my experience it�s the make and quality of a rifle (barrel, trigger, scope), not the action that influences on accuracy. I am happy to own a Blaser single shot K95 in 6,5x57 R that shoots honest one-hole three-shot groups, about 9 mm from center to center at 100 meters, with 120 grain Nosler BT. This is better than any bolt action I have, even the Ansch�tz in .222 Rem comes only close, with aprox. 15 mm groups.

It�s like in optics, you get what you pay for and life�s too short to drink cheap wine...

Weidmann�s Heil, Dirk

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
<dave3220>
posted
Scoped NEF in .357 MAX belonging to an amigo will do 3 shots sub. MOA at 100 yds. with 25 gr. Rel. 7 and a 200 gr. Hornady RN.

(I have done this ONCE with my 16" MAX with home-made peep sight. Absolutely NO expectations of repeating the performance.) (Rifle was cut-down for horse back use and I am very pleased with it.
1,800 fps with the above load.)

regards,
Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience single shots are more than accurate enough for field work. I've had only one that wasn't and a new barrrel remedied all of that. They aren't for bench competition generaly speaking, but some can come very close. Did a group in the 3's today with a Ruger #1 in 257 Roberts and that is good enough for my field. Sometimes they need some help but my current three singles(2-#1's and a T/C Contender in 30-30) are all sub MOA shooters.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I'd like to point out that Dave3220's .357 Max load mentioned in this topic and elsewhere, equals the factory Winchester 200 grain Silvertip load from a 21" barrel! No wonder he does so well with it.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
<JohnKSa>
posted
My Encore rifle in .223 will shoot half moa with the Black Hills 52 grain Match Hollow Point load--got one three shot group that was 3/8" @ 100 yards.

Haven't found anything else it likes anywhere near as much. I've tried several other factory loads and nothing else groups under an inch.