New
Find
Notify
Tools

No. 1 Tang sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have a tang sight mounted on their No. 1?
What model? How well does it work?

Looking about for a tang sight to mount on a No. 1, I did find this, and thought it worth sharing:
http://www.hallowellco.com/madole%20henry.htm

posted Hide Post
Yep. It started out as a #1B, and Lee Shaver installed a Badger barrel in .45-90, removed the tang safety and mounted a Baldwin base for the Baldwin long-range tang sight for black powder cartridge shooting. Steve Baldwin suggested one of his shortest bases for this, and it worked quite well. Lee had to make something to fit under the tang where the safety was for one of the base screws/bolts to fasten to. In this configuration it is definitely not a hunting rifle. Way too heavy with a heavy 32" barrel, but it really shoots well with a 535 grain cast Creedmoor bullet for long range target shooting. It isn't nearly as fancy as the Hallowell one, nor did Lee extend the tang.

Posts: 17 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Yiminy:
By yiminy, that's a drop-dead gorgeous Alexander Henry style No. 1! Just the push-button lever release alone gives the Ruger a whole new look.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure the safety has been removed? The switch is still there... Here I was hoping I could mount a sight on it without removing the safety. (don't have a No. 1 yet, but I will soon....)

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
That's a real classic beauty! Yes, I've seen a couple tang sights on No. 1's. Seems to me one had the tang safety reworked so it worked under and at the side of the sight base......"Here I was hoping I could mount a sight on it without removing the safety. (don't have a No. 1 yet, but I will soon....)" Py yiminy Hans, you CAN.....

Ah, yes! Here's one. Take a look at the top righhand corner of page 25 in the 60th Edition (2006) of the Gun Digest. It's a picture of the safety/sight base setup on a No. 1 .32/40 target rifle...... The safety itself is shown at the bottom of page 24, outside of the rifle.

Have fun!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote