THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Re: Just bought an Encore rifle today

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Just bought an Encore rifle today
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got back from the Basspro Shop Fall Hunting Classic and picked up the Encore in .50 cal ML. Not really needing the ML barrel, but out the door with composite stock and SS, it was $515 out the door. It was $529 but with getting their credit card, it was 10% off first purchase.

Now if I can just get me a couple of rifle barrels I will be set.....

Thanks for the link

Posts: 199 | Location: D/FW Texas | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try putting some thin rubber washers between the forearm and the barrel. I ended up piller bedding my wooden forearm on my Encore 223 rem 26 hvy barrel. It made it into a good p-dog shooter. Oh, I also had the crown kissed by a gunsmith.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thin rubber washers? How about O-rings of sufficient diameter? I can get oodles of them free from a mechanic friend of mine. The ultimate plan is to get custom stocks from Virgin Valley, but the price of them is almost as much as I paid for the gun!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yep o-rings will work also. I went with the piller bedding on my 223 rem encore, and the custom stock from Virgin Valley and their hanger bar system on my 17 rem contender. You are right the Virgin Valley is costly but sure is nice looking.

one of us
posted Hide Post
rootbeer,

Well here is the story on the VV stock purchase.

I decided that I wanted a 22" bull barrel in a 17 rem for my Contender, so I ordered one from VV. I then found out that the drop on the factory contender stock was way to low for my likeing when using a scope on this gun. So, another call to VV. After talking to them, I decided that I wanted an Encore stock and forearm made to fit my Contender and they said that they would do it for me. So I placed the order with them. It was costly but was worth it. I am retired and not to many years left to enjoy shooting, so I decided to break the piggy bank and just go for it. Sure glad I did it as it is one sweet, nice looking, good p-dog shooter. It has been my favorate gun to shoot p-dogs with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
rootbeer,
I just found this info at http://lrha.250x.com/ that I thought ya might like on floating forearm.

What's so hard about dat??? This is what I did.
To make sure the barrel channel is nice and round at the area that makes contact with the barrel I took a deep well socket of the correct size and wraped it with a piece of 150 grit sandpaper. I ran that back and forth a couple times to even up the channel. I then got some Duct tape..."no not the kind your thinking of" This is the stuff that looks like chrome and it's all metal with the paper ya peel off the back to expose the sticky side. Anyway I cut a couple small pieces about 1/2"x1/2" and stuck it centered at both screw holes inside the forend channel. One piece was enough on this forend. Then I just bored the holes for the screws in the tape. Mounted it on the barrel and tightened the screws. I'm now able to run a dollar bill freely everywhere except where the screws are Anyone see anything wrong with this process? I think it works like a champ and being this tape is metal it shouldn't flatten out at all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Minnesota...

Having Raquel Welch on your arm is about the same as having the VV stocks!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at the Virgin Valley LH thumbhole stock and a beavertail forearm. They are pricey; the purchase of these items is a long-term project. However, I did find something new to buy for it today: a one-piece scope base by Talley-- and a steal at about $60! It is made specifically for the Encore in black anodized aluminum and comes in 1" only. Every Encore owner should have one. Anybody want to buy my T/C Weaver-type base in silver alu??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just now got home from the gunshow. I bought an Encore rifle in stainlees steel, 26" heavy barrel in .223Rem chambering and the composite stocks. I also bought the proprietary scope mounting base. Total cost was $623.00, all included. Did I get a good deal? On what should I now spend more money? I am lefthanded, so a call to Virgin Valley is in order for one of their LH thumbhole stocks and beavertail forearms. Anything else?? Thanks.