THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    How to remove trigger mechanism from old single shot

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to remove trigger mechanism from old single shot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone happen to know how to remove the trigger mechanism from this rifle? It won’t fire so I’m trying to see if it’s got a broken firing pin. Any help is greatly appreciated!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know what make rifle it is, but a good first step would be to remove the butt stock. You'll likely find the triggers are pinned to the trigger plate and that their associated springs, etc are attached by screws to the trigger plate. The firing mechanism should be rather simple and its operation understood once the stock is removed and you can see all the parts.

Posts: 474 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s the problem, I can’t get the buttstock to come off even with all the screws I would assume hold it there removed. The bottom trigger plate acts like it’s loose from the main action but won’t actually drop all the way down to allow the stock to slide off. The stock seemed to be loose other than the trigger mechanism holding in place where I assume it’s got an area I petted for it. If I could just get the trigger plate to drop away I assume the stock will just slide right off.

It looks to me like the firing pin is protruding into the action a bit and way stay cocked back. Could this be what’s keeping the trigger plate from dropping strait down? Any way to push the pin back? I tried pushing with a punch but it would not budge

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there a stock bolt under the butt plate

Posts: 19366 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The trigger plate will have to come off first, and they are fitted tightly into the frame; yours has the round front piece. Don't break that off! Usually you can hit the frame with a piece of wood or plastic hammer and inertia will cause the trigger plate to come off. Go slow and careful; those old stocks are thin and brittle.

Posts: 17110 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Taken a few oldies, and some newies, off myself and it is as per dpcd's instructions. It is usually the front nose of the plate that is tight fitting and holding up releasing the trigger plate. Spray with some WD40 or similar product around that area and use a little inertia to shock it loose. The nose is often pulled down into a slightly tapered seat so just needs a little break away and then it will flop out,

Posts: 3857 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the trigger plate off. The problem was the hammer was forward the whole time which essentially meant I had to pry hard enough to push the hammer back while pulling down on the trigger plate. Thankfully nothing was hurt! Now I need to figure out why it won’t stay cocked

Thanks for the help everyone.

Does anyone know of a book or resource for schematics on blitz/trigger plate action set triggers?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does the hammer/firing pin retract when the top lever is moved?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No but I believe it’s all figured out, thanks so much everyone!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures. Good job!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had moved the question about the trigger issues over to the gunsmithing sub forum with the title “double set trigger help”. There are more pictures along with the solution to the problem if anyone is interested