New
Find
Notify
Tools

.25 Short rimfire?????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just picked up a beautiful old J. Stevens in unbelievable condition. Is there any shootable ammo to be had anywhere?

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check with Dixe,they had some 32 rimfire,they may be bring in the 25

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I just did a quick search on Explorer and one site has the 25 Stevens but at collectors prices.

Old Western Scrounger carries stuff like this but I did not look for their site. Gun shows are good place too. Canuck of Canada made the last batch that I know of.

My first rifle was a .25 Stevens in a Favorite. I still have it and the bore is bright. They shot both the .25 Stevens and the short. I think the regular .25 Stevens cartridge was the most common.

Besides having less power than a .22 LR HS the ammo was hard to get 50 years ago. I shot a woodchuck up close and it almost made it out of sight.

My rifle is not fancy or strong enough to rechamber and bush it to CF. It's just a memory.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I understand the collector appeal in leaveing it unmodified, but these little rifles make very nice .22 lr, by lineing the barrel, and modifying the fireing pin slightly! If done properly the outside will be un modified. I have two Favorites one Martini Cadet,and one crackshot, so modified! Beautiful little rifles.

Most of the ammo you will find will be collector ammo, and not only expensive, but probably will not shoot well. [Confused]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
This one is just too pretty to mess up. You could hunt for years and not find one in this shape. The sensible thing for me to do is to hunt up a Stevens collector and swap it off for two or three usable actions.

I may wind up doing that, but I am a .25 caliber nut and just have to shoot it some first. Likely the only .25 rimfire that will come through my life.

Btw. I have done some cleaning and measuring and it is .25 Stevens. I can use either the short or long versions. May have to bite the bullet (yuck, yuck) and pay $40-50 for a box of the 60's CIL stuff.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote