THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    My Luxus Ruger 1-A 22 Hornet is finished!!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Luxus Ruger 1-A 22 Hornet is finished!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted
My Hornet just got finished at Luxus and here is a pic. I need to decide on a scope now but I am leaning toward a 4x Leupold in Warne quick detach rings.

"One shot is usually enough..."

Posts: 487 | Location: OK | Registered: 02 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice single shot rifle!
"One shot is usually enough" and this rifle... That´s it!

How accurate is it? I have allway´s some problems with hornet rifles.

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
This is an honest two inch gun at a hundred yards with most factory loads. I only made sure it was a shooter before I sent it off for dressing up. I will work up some hand loads once I get it back.

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Excellent! What a beautiful rifle. Well done.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great looking gun to play with. What will you be using her for? Anything in particular?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great!!!!! tu2

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
I really plan on using this gun a lot. I live in the country and gophers, armadillos, possums and raccons are a constant problem along with an occasional coyote in the yard. I don't want it to sit in the safe for 20 years and then I give it to my son in new condition and he will be afraid to use it. I have many Luxus stocks and these high end walnut stocks are so hard compared to factory walnut stocks. The teak oil finish is easy to touch up with a little wet/dry sandpaper and Watco Teak Oil from Lowes. Every nick and ding will have a story and it will be a using gun. I won't abuse it but i am going to get some good use out of it before I pass it on.

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed! My 375 is finished and need to get it shipped down here. Going to call Luxus today to get the FFL stuff worked out.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous!!! Your suggestion scope and rings sounds perfect to me.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's purdey! Try loading up some 40 grain V-max, with Lil Gun, and small pistol primers. S&B brass is the best this side of RWS. Are you sure the #1 is strong enough for the mighty Hornet?

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! If I see enough of these I may have to get another No 1....

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
A beautiful rifle in a caliber I really enjoy. Were it mine I would opt for a variable of at least 3-9. I have a 4-12 on mine and never regretted it. A prairie dog at 200 yards with a 4 power is tough. And you need to educate me a bit....I don't see the practical use of detachable rings, unless you choose to have more than one scope for the rifle.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
If the gun was just a working hornet then your scope suggestions would be right on and still a compact 3-9 would probably be ok, but I don't want the size of the scope to overpower the size of the gun. This is a very petite gun in a 1-A. I don't think it will ever shoot a ground squirrel at 200 yards since we have none in Oklahoma. The detachable rings will be for the purpose of using the iron sights which I still enjoy using. I know at some point in the near future I will have no choice but to use a scope with these eyes so until then I like to shoot them on occasion. My gopher hunting in the yard involves opening up the hole and sitting in a lawn chair at 10 yds and waiting for him to pop his head up. 99% of the shooting of this gun at varmints will be inside 100 yds.

Thanks guys for all the compliments. My family and friends with all their 700's, AR's and model 70's think I am crazy but they haven't held this jewel in their hands. Their thoughts were for that kind of money I could have had a McM stock on a tuned action and stainless match barrel.

But in a hundred years I know this gun will be in "style" and cherished by somebody regardless of what happens with shiny and plastic.

One of Us
Picture of .404
posted Hide Post
that is one fine rifle....congrats!!

I pray for mud on my boots the day I die...
Go see the nights of Africa.....

Posts: 208 | Location: back home in the Tarheel state | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Their thoughts were for that kind of money I could have had a McM stock on a tuned action and stainless match barrel.

Yes and that would have been way too much IMHO.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eskimo36:
But in a hundred years I know this gun will be in "style" and cherished by somebody regardless of what happens with shiny and plastic.

Very wise!!!! I have many customs on SS but the walnut and in your case THE ACTION IS dancing---that really sets it off!

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle. I would consider a fixed 6x, perhaps the new Leupold FX-II 6x36mmor FX-III 6x42mm. Or a similar scope from one of the European makers. For a 4x, the S&B with the #9 reticle would be perfect.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 840 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
I picked my rifle up this morning and it is so much better than the pictures. The walnut is better and the case colors are better than the pictures can ever show. The wood looks melted to the action and barrel. The quality of the Luxus product is something that has to be seen in person to really appreciate.

Boss Hoss, I saw your rifle at Luxus this morning and it looks great. The beautiful stock with the stainless is a great combination.

One of Us
Picture of .404
posted Hide Post
I have sent them my .300HH..can't wait to get it back!!

Posts: 208 | Location: back home in the Tarheel state | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
This is my 300 H&H that Luxus did for me....

One of Us
Picture of .404
posted Hide Post
Why does your Hornet have a cheekpiece and the .300 doesn't? Your call?

one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
Those were the stocks I chose. At one time they had two different styles of cheekpieces as well as none as an option. I also have bought a couple of DIY Ruger stocks from them without cheekpieces.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I think your Hornet is gorgeous! Am glad to hear you plan on using it a lot rather than letting it langush in a safe.

For a scope, personally I would select some good quality brand of compact 2x7. FGor a Hornet in particular, there is the odd time one wants to whomp something that is just peeking its small head out of a bush, a hole, or around a fence post or tree-trunk. That's when the 7X really comes in handy, and one of the better makes of "compact" 2-7s won't likely overwhelm the appearance.

Your rifle though, so your call. A stupendous looking rifle, whatever you decide on for glass....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I could not agree more AC. It's a beautiful rifle and one that will demand to be carried and shot.
I have used the Bushnell Elite 4200 1.5-6x36 and found it a wonderful scope for small frame rifles. Obviously, it's pretty close to the 2-7 so either one would work like a charm.
Good luck with your rifle 36, I'd love to see it when you head up my way.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!

It is refreshing to see one priced to sell in volume, with such quality. The switch barrel capability can only add to the value.
After this next trip to Africa I am going to have to see about ordering one with 300/375 Holland barrels.

just a beautiful rifle...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I may ask, who did the color case on the receiver? That is beautiful.

Posts: 90 | Location: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: 13 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
Luxus Arms did the project but I assume Turnbull did the color. He advertises doing Ruger singleshots on his website.

One of Us
Picture of .404
posted Hide Post
how is the rifle shooting after the restock?
Mine may be ready in late July?

one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
I am still on a work project that takes all of my time (80-100 hrs a week)so I have had no chance to shoot it yet but i have handled it many evenings in my recliner watching the outdoor channel if that counts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eskimo, It is refreshing to see plank sawn wood on your 300. The large open areas are pleasing at least to my eye. They are both great looking rifles. I too am a fan of the "mighty hornet", my load is 13 grains of lil gun under a Barnes 30 grain Varmint Grenade. For ranges inside 200 yards they are real killers. I don't use the small pistol primer, I use a cci small rifle primer. Thanks for showing off two very nice single shots. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote