Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting back Vaquero barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
So, what's a fair price to pay for cutting a 7-1/2" Vaquero barrel back to about 5-1/2", re-crowning, touching up the blueing and reattaching the front sight?

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Jack Huntington, he's one of the best Ruger gunsmiths in the country and very reasonable. 530-268-6877

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Stroh's or David Clements' websites will give you an idea on pricing.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I don't know if its fair, but I charge $80 unless I have to shorten the ejector rod and housing; that costs more.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
I don't know if its fair, but I charge $80 unless I have to shorten the ejector rod and housing; that costs more.

John,

Same for a Blackhawk?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:

John, $80.00 to cut the barrel back, machine a slot for the sight, solder it in place and refinish? Oh it's fair, but to who? Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I was going to cut that barrel I would look into having a front sight that uses a dovetail like Bowen uses.

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
If I was going to cut that barrel I would look into having a front sight that uses a dovetail like Bowen uses.

No self respecting cowboy would show up anywhere at high noon with his six gun sporting a dovetail front sight. He might get laughed at.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping
Most can not hit anything because they are shooting to the right.

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Craigster, yes, Blackhawks are the same. They're easy to do and I've done many of them, both blued ones and stainless. Like I said, if I have to shorten the ejector housing and maybe the base pin it costs more.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I charge $100 for that.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote