New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako l691 info
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have aquired a sako action marked l691mag.from what I can tell using the search here it seems to be a decent action with the recoil lug issue being the only negative.What chamberings would be available for this action without any modifications?I was leaning towards a 7mm based cartride,possibly the STW.Also does anyone know of a synthetic thumbhole stock made that will fit this action?Thanks,there appears to be a wealth of info here.

Regards,
Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TT anyone?

Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I read your post correctly, your L691 has the "magnum" bolt face of .530". You can chamber any belted magnum or any cartridge built on the Remington Ultramag case without modification. The magazine is long enough for the 7mm STW or any other "full length" cartridge like the .300 and .375 H&H, 8mm Rem, .300 WBY, etc. It also works just fine for the shorter belted magnums like .338, .264, 7mm Rem. The bolt face would accept any of the WSM series, but the magazine and action are far longer than necessary for these cartridges, so it would be something of a waste. For the 7mm/.300/.338/.375 Ultramags, you may need to have your gunsmith very slightly open the feed rails for the fatter cartridges.

Some people don't care for the detachable recoil lug on this series, but there's no reason that it can't be as sturdy and secure as any recoil lug.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For any of the Ultra Mags or Short Mags, the feed rails will need attention.
sbsmith

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote