New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage action modification
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am setting out to rebarrel a Savage 111 in .30-06 to 6.5-06 40 degree Ackley Improved. Would any changes need to be made to the magazine follower and feed lips and / or to the action rails to maintain feeding reliability? Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Posts: 48 | Location: SE PA, USA | Registered: 28 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, maybe. I would try it first to see if it feeds before I started any filing. I've had some rifles converted to Ackley cartridges that fed with no problems, I've had others that were very stubborn about feeding. If you do have feeding problems, blacken a few cases and the feed lips (alternately) and see where the hangup is, and then proceed very slowly, trying again every couple of strokes of the file. It's very difficult to put metal back. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Dan:
Thanks for your reply. So, basically you're saying it's kind of a crapshoot; maybe it'll feed, maybe not. Uugghh!
Since I have maybe 6-8 weeks before getting the barrel and dies, perhaps I should pause in ordering them and post on the Reloading forum, soliciting for a couple of used fireformed 6.5-06 AI cases- pay for same and shipping / handling, and try to cycle them through the stock action. If they hang up, pop up, or try to ram through the side of the action, rebarrel in 6.5-06 NON Ackley and avoid the problem. Hmmmm- think I'll do this now; proof is, after all, by test.
Pondering the above,
Rosse

Posts: 48 | Location: SE PA, USA | Registered: 28 September 2002Reply With Quote