Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Sauer frame refinishing
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
I tried the search feature and got a bizillion threads. Sorry to repeat...

I am looking to refinish the frame of a Sig Sauer and of course it is aluminum alloy. I am open to silvers, greys, and black colors.

What does not look like plastic yet will proect from wear and all of natures tricks.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Cerakote

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Cerakote

who did you use, or did you do it yourself?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I have paid to have one done before. Brownells just started selling it to the public in several colors. I bought some and have read the directions but have yet to try to apply it myself. From the directions the application looks pretty straight forward. Sand blast, degrease, paint and cook. It's a very thin but strong coating.

I am planning on doing a Ruger barreled action myself. My first attemp at a baking oven isn't working out too good though. I got a 4"X40" long piece of pipe and welded a bottom to it and had a top cut for it. My plan was to put the pipe on a hotplate with the barreled action inside. I thought it would get hot enough but it doesn't so it's back to the drawing board. I'm sure I'll find something simple and cheap before it's over with.

If you plan on cooking the pistol in the Ketchen, just be sure to do it when the wife isn't home. Mine always' gets pissed when I put anything besides food in the oven.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I was thinking Cerakote for the frame, Melonite for the slide, and who knows for the small pieces?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After my first bake-off using the kitchen stove, my wife made it VERY clear that that was not contributing to the quality of our marriage. I now use a propane fired BBQ grille that I salvaged roadside on trash day. While not long enough to hold a barreled action, it is long enough to hold most barrels. I wire them to the top section. I think it can be modified with a section of pipe or a fabricated box section to make room for a complete assembly. Using a very accurate thermometer, I can get it up to 500F if necessary.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CAS11 on this forum is too inexpensive to consider doing it myself. I use to have a Buddy do all my Melonite, but he is setting up a factory in Mexico.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out a company called Ion Bond. They do all the refinishing of the factory refurbs for sig. They have a black finish I use on most of my carry guns cald DLC It is basically a black man made diamond with a hardness of 90Rc. I do Cerakote in the shop, but I still have my pistols done in Ion Bond DLC

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote