Find
Notify
Tools

installing cross bolts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted
Where exactly are cross bolts to be installed on a rifle. How do you decide the right point to drill?
I can get a jig to install them but can't seem to find info on the correct positioning of the cross bolts for the desired stock strengthening.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

riodot

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The primary bolt is behind the recoil lug, the secondary one is between the rear of the magazine mortise and the trigger mortise.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownell’s sells a handy jig for locating and drilling crossbolts.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
The jig works good, but only for the front crossbolt.

The front crossbolt should be installed about halfway between the front of the magazine box and the rear of the recoil lug. If you look in the the stock inletting you'll see wood inbetween these parts, split the difference and go just a little below the wood line where the flat part of the reciever rests (assuming it's a Winchester or Mauser). On the back one you'll see a very small amount of wood between the trigger and the back of the magazine. I try to center in this area. Some times it's not possible. The most important thing is to take your time in the layout of these and make sure you don't end up with crossbolt were barreled action is supposed to be. bewildered

I've got a B-Square crossbolt jig, spanner wrench and a couple of crossbolts I'll let go pretty reasonable if you're interested. Like I said though, It's only good for the front crossbolt.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TC1

I'm interested in buying your jig and crossbolts if no one else is.

Please email me at freddy@johle.com. price and shipping.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
It's already sold.

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
The crossbolt jig that I am familiar with references off the corner formed by the rear of the recoil lug intersecting the flat receiver bottom. I assumed that the recoil lug was to bear on the front crossbolt. I could be wrong, though.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am confused concerning this discussion. I am not a gunsmith and just read these discussions out of interest and to help me with some small project but if the recoil lug doesn't bear on the crossbolt then how does the cross bolt add strength? What forces would it be removing from the stock?

jeff

Posts: 107 | Location: California High Desert | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffMc:
I am confused concerning this discussion. I am not a gunsmith and just read these discussions out of interest and to help me with some small project but if the recoil lug doesn't bear on the crossbolt then how does the cross bolt add strength? What forces would it be removing from the stock?

jeff

The crossbolt is there to keep the wood from slitting, not hold the rifle in place.

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffMc:

jeff

IMO, the front crossbolt does not remove forces from the stock but rather distributes the force of the recoil lug across the entire width of the stock. The crossbolt also compresses the stock laterally, lessening the chance of the stock splitting. I feel this second characteristic is more important when a rear crossbolt is installed behind the magazine mortise.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote