New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brownell/Shilen Barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Brownells has really good prices on their stainless Shilen barrels.
How many of you folks have used these barrels and what is your opinion of them? My inteneded use is to have one chambered in 35 Whelen.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
They're a great barrel.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Ther are OK but I would rather a SS Lothar Walter anytime.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like them. I just picked one up for a 358win project I'm doing.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one installed on a Remington action chambered in .270 Win. It consistently shoots 3/4 inch with 130 grain TSX and Reloader 19. It cleans easy too. no fouling. Its kind of heavy though Its a number 5 contour at 26 inches. My loads are doing 3200 fps over the chronograph. Ian Jensen who used to gunsmith for Barnes put it together for me. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had five different rifles with Shilen barrels. They all shot well.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
I've got one (#3 contour) that is going to make a .260 Remington on a M24/47 action. I hope to have a good report to add in a couple more months

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are several grades of Shilen barrels. Depending on what you want to use the barrel for, that may be of interest? I don't immediately spot the grade listed on the Brownell's website.

You should also check the prices on:

http://www.thebarrelman.com/

At a glance, they look very competitive.... I have ordered from TheBarrelMan.com before, and had no issues...

- mike

P.S. Check this page for the various Shilen barrel grades:

http://www.shilen.com/barrelGrades.html

It looks like the blanks Brownells are selling are "Match" grade - as opposed to "Select Match". That would make TheBarrelMan very competitive!

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The BarrelMan was my old business. I think the fellow that owns it now is an alright guy. You might also consider www.accuracyarms.com. Kim Lehew is a pleasure to deal with. Brownells normally have them in stock, the others would have to dropship when Shilen has them available.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks but I decided to go with the Lilja and it's 1-12 twist.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote