THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    New 9,3x62 Project ready for Constructive Criticism.......
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 9,3x62 Project ready for Constructive Criticism.......
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One minor quibble: the recoil pad is too red and too thick. It draws too much attention to itself. Pehaps a reddish/brown leather covering would suit it better?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! I even like the tip. Can I "borrow" the checkering pattern, from the pics here, for the one I am doing? I know it's the internet, but I hate to take things without asking. I will just use your pics as the pattern. My second stockmaking attempt should be done in a couple of months, thanks to Chic's advice.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dj, Very nice job with a great action and cartridge! folks already caught the tip shaping and slightly squareish forend. I really like the comb nose shaping without fluting, but I would prefer a relief cut at the ejector port.
A detail many pro stockers miss is the rear line of the checkering. Yours doesn't begin with the cut line at the toe line junction and doesn't quite follow the sleak grip lines you so consciently shaped in the stock. I would suggest holding a pencil as if it were a compass, with your one finger tracing the lower grip line and the pencil drawing the upper. Start with the pencil point at the rear grip cut and maintain the same width up through the grip. This will remove the slight lump you have at the lower rear of the grip checkering.
It is a VERY fine rifle, and I do understand your desire to refine the next one.
SDH

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1821 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry no Criticism,rather,Looking at you rig I am inspired to build a pre 64 .300H&H.

one of us
posted Hide Post
SDH, Again thanks for the Master level advice. I may end up rounding the tip but the forend will have to wait for a few hunting trip scratches for I'd hassle with a redo.

Jimmy223, Yes the Swivels are the same as Customstox recommended though these were graciously donated to me my Doug Humbarger. He made a custom cutter to cut them the same on the lathe while Customstox uses files.

Larrys, Of course you are more than welcome to use the pattern, though I would reccommend that you follow the advice GNMKR gave. It was blind luck that the top edge of the grip panels followed the grip line like they did, but my next one will. Also I wished I would have rounded the back corner above the grip cap like on ForrestB's, Duane Wiebe built 6.5x55. ForrestB posted some great pics here:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/657104892

These 3 rifles represent the type of thing I hope to be able to do someday.

I weighed the 9,3 today and with the scope and rings it was just at 8.5 lbs.
Here's a pic of it with it's 7x57 stablemate in progress:

Again thanks to all for the comments and criticism's. I hope to keep learning from them all....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
dj, that is a hell of a job. Any critique is mostly a difference of artistic opinion. You said my rifles were an "inspiration" to you, well your rifle is an inspiration to me. I'd trade half my collection for one rifle - if I could build it myself and have anywhere near the result that you've achieved. That is fine work.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
if I could build it myself and have anywhere near the result that you've achieved.

Excellent point. What an accomplishment!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work! How long did it take?

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
DJ,

Beautiful work! Others have already made comments/critiques so I will refrain and just say job well done and you should be very proud of it. Keep it up! I look forward to pictures of your next project.

P.S. Your workbench is too clean........

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Soverns:
P.S. Your workbench is too clean........

That's the only thing that makes me believe he really might be an amateur.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Super job DJ, wish I had half your talent.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MajorCaliber, I think that it took about 1 1/2 to 2 months total working time, spread out over 2 1/2 to 3 years due to my only being able to do gunwork in my off season from my Bill paying job.............DJ

.....................I might have tidied up a bit for the picture....... Smiler.........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DJ, I missed the relief cut on the loading port. I glossed right over it. That is easily remedied.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote