Find
Notify
Tools

Fitting stock for recoil reduction
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted
I have a gun that I am rebarelling to a 338 RUM and it has a H S Precision stock

It has a 3 1/2" deep by 1" wide by 2 3/8" tall cavity.

What would you use? A mercury recoil suppressor

or perhaps 2 of these adjustable mechanical recoil suppressors. I could fit one at the top and one at the bottom of the 3 1/2" ones

it would add 11 oz to the weight of the rifle.

and what would be your method of installation?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Personally, I've never been able to distinguish the recoil reduction of a mercury filled tube and a mass of weight that weighs the same, i.e.: lead.

The biggest problem I see with the cylindrical reducers shown is going to be securing them with all that empty space around them.

If it were mine, I would determine approximately how much weight I wanted to add, and I would cast a lead plate of that weight to fit the rectangular hole in your stock.

Assuming the front "wall" of the hole is solid, I would put two or three screws through the lead plate and epoxy and screw it against the front "wall" of the hollow in your stock.

This will not only get the weight to the amount you want (and reduce recoil), but it will also move the weight as far forward as possible (towards the pistol grip.)

Keeping the weight forward will go a long way towards making the rifle feel more "lively" in your hands... by keeping excess weight off of the extreme end of the stock.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947