New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mod. 70 Gas Block Problems
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone make a replacement gas block (the small part that rides in the opposite lug raceway from the extractor) for a late model 70?

I had one break today and lock up the action tighter than Dicks hat band. (Whatever that means.) [Big Grin]

The thing appears to be made out of powdered metal, someone surely makes one out of real metal. I had to pull the barrel to get the bolt open and don't even want to think about it happening while mid-hunt.

Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT.

Am I the only one to ever have one of these break?

Joe.

<JBelk>
posted
JMack---

I've had one break as a result of blocking the gas that could have blinded me.

Order a factory replacement and be sure to get the extractor collar also. Yours is probabaly bent beyond use.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine may of broke while shooting, but when it locked things up, I was adjusting the sizing die and trying the empty brass in the chamber.

The part of it that fits under the retaining ring was still there. The rest of the block was in pieces.

I have a couple of new ones ordered but would still be happier to replace it with a real, honest to goodness, steel part.

Does anyone see any reason why not to make a replacement out of mild steel?

Joe.

<JBelk>
posted
JMack--

No reason I can see to avoid mild steel for that part. It's a block that only serves to keep stray gas and parts out of your eyeballs and as part of the bolt stop.

I'm betting Wonderfulchester would love to see the pieces of yours......maybe they could find out why it shattered.....and fix it. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
That part is MIM'd mainly because it is a B&%#h to machine. There is almost no place to hold it and it is a very complicated shape. If you're going to make just one, have at it. What's a few hours? But to make 70,000 of them? I wouldn't want to bid that one.

I've seen them shatter, but only when subjected to 100,000+ PSI loads where the brass melted and the full force of the escaping gas cut through the retaining collar and started things down the raceway at high speed.

Posts: 108 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote