Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Mounting issue?
 Login/Join

posted
I recently had a push feed Win Mdl 70 rebarreled with a Douglass Featherweight barrel chambered in 7x57 mauser. Yesterday I picked up the barreled action from my gumsmith.

I brought it home, put it in a MDl 70 Featherweight stock, mounted a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36 on Std Leupold bases with Leupold Std low rings and bore sighted it. The problem I have run into is this: when I tried to adjust POI down to be properly bore sighted, I run out of downward adjustment.

I have yet to take it to the range (headed there today) but I'm concerned already something is amiss.

What could I have done wrong? This isn't something I have never done. I'm pretty confident I got the bases and rings installed as they should be. The action works fine.

Any suggestions? Maybe I'm jumping the gun a little, but my experience tells me when I bore sight like I did, I usually need to adjust POI down when I get to the range.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Rob

Posts: 734 | Location: Concord, NH | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few things could be wrong and there are a few ways to either correct or compensate.

Stock pressure may be influencing your barrel. Releive the stock so the barrel floats or at least has less pressure pushing up on the muzzle end.

The barrel may not have been threaded true or the barrel shank and receiver face may not be square with each other. This would require the barrel job to be re-done correctly to fix it, or shim the scope to compensate.

Sometimes it is as simple as your ring and base selection not matching your bore-sighter. I bore sight through the bore with the bolt removed.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1619 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Actually, that is how I bore sighted it. At about 30 feet in the basement. Given the hassle I had dealing with this smith, I won't be surprised if the job isn't done properly. I'll see how I make out at the range today. Thanks for the suggestion.

Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do the through the boresight at approx 100 yards.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is not uncommon for one of the bases to be slightly too thick or too thin, or for the reciever ring/bridge diameter to vary slightly from the standard for which the bases were made. In either case you can end up with the situation you have. The simple solution is to place a thin bushing on the lower half of the front scope ring which will have the effect of raising the front of the scope relative to the axis of the barrel. I haven't had to do this often, but often enough to know that the problem is not that rare. A few thicknesses of aluminum foil will work, and no, you won't "bend" your scope tube by making the scope rings the same height instead of the differing heights they currently are at.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
At the range, bore sighted the scope to 100 yards and showed it needed elevation adjust up. Was able to make the needed adjustments and all was well.

The scope is still in the bottom of the elevation adjustment range and I swung by the gun shop and picked up a couple different thicknesses of base shims. Should I need to, I'll adjust it in the future. And now I know what to do should it happen with a different rifle.

Thanks.
Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rear of scope goes the way you want the impact point to shift.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, if you want to correct the (rag) M70 problem, the best way to do it is with a set of Burris Signature Rings and a pack of the Synthetic Eccentric Inserts. There is no need to "Lap" the Rings, they have a tenacious grip on the scope, they will not Mar the scope tube, and they can correct whatever screw-up the (rag) M70 has with scope alignment.

Or you can follow the previous Nimrod comments and have an excellent chance of binding the scope adjustments or damaging the scope tube.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hot Core -

I'm not going to be shimming any scope rings with any aluminum cans. I know that for certain.

I did look at the Burris rings - they're a good idea for sure and at a minimal cost. I also pick up a .010" and .006" scope BASE shim from the LGS just in case.

That said, when I got to the range and bore sighted and shot, I had to adjust elevation up and although it's still nearer to the bottom of the adjustment range than it is the middle of it, it's now adjusted, sighted in and ready to work up some decent hand loads.

I think I jumped the gun some worrying about it, but in all the times I've bore sighted my rifles, I never had a scope "bottom out" like that before.

Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Rob, The worst rifle I ever had the alignment problem on was one of "my" favorites - a graceful, roll engraved, S&S, quick release magazine , M700 Remington. When I initially sighted it in at 25yds, it was nearly off the right hand side of the paper. At 100yds, it was 3' to the right - pitiful!

I had really REALLLLLY high hopes for that rifle, but never could warm up to it. I put the Burris Signatures on it, used the Eccentric Inserts "sideways" from normal and was able to center the crosshairs. However, I knew something was wrong and messed with it for 3 years before I ever took it Hunting. Killed 1-Doe and traded it off.

It did not appear to be in the Drilling of the Base Holes, which I checked for alignment, The Barrel did not appear "bent" using regular old eyeballs from both ends. So, I suspected the Receiver had somehow been Drilled or Tapped a bit crooked. Maybe not, but something was wrong. Probably should have sent it right back to Remington, but I didn't.

Anyway, if you ever use a set of the Burris Signatures, it would amaze me if you did not like them. One of my buddies introduced me to them maybe 15 years ago. They have been especially excellent on my light-weigh, heavy-recoil rifles.

Anyway, best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote