New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canadian Barrel Makers???
 Login/Join

<Cain R>
posted
Do any of my fellow Canadian shooters know of a good quality Canadian barrel maker? Spoke with my local 'smith, while labour will be a little over $150 Cdn to contour, chamber and set the barrel he's quoting close to $500 for the .416 barrel blank. Not to mention the hassle and wait of getting it across the line. Any ideas??

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only Canadian barrel maker I know of is Ted Gaillard, he is located in Saskatchewan. Can not find his #, as far as I know he has no web site.

Posts: 178 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Ross Spagrud>
posted
Ted's # is 306 752 3769

There is also Ron Smith in Wimborne Alberta
and Rob McClennan in Ontario.

Ross
www.prairiegunworks.com

<Bill Tompkins>
posted
Cain R,

I'm not Canadian but I can help with 2 makers.

Ted Gaillard
PO Box 21
Pathlow, Saskatoon, Canada S0K 3B0
306-752-3769

Ron Smith
403-631-2405

Bill

<Cain R>
posted
Wow, thanks for the all the info guys. I think I've stumbled on the best shooting/reloading/hunting forum yet!!!!

Since Ron Smith is in my home province I"ll start with him. Thanks again.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has a Smith barrel on his 6.5/06. All I can say is that it shoots nice tiny groups. I wouldn't hesitate to try them.

Apparently a guy in my hometown is just starting to produce barrels. I'll be keeping a close eye on that.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Ross Spagrud>
posted
As an interesting side note Ron Smith
is the only Canadian barrel maker that
I am aware of the makes cut rifle barrels.

In addition to this he is noted as a
"gain twist" afficinado and produces
these as well as standard twist barrels.

Ross

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of Ron Smith's gain twist barrels on a 340 Weatherby built on a Rem 700 action with Sako extractor. The rifle shoots just about anything I feed it into tiny cloverleafs, and the gain twist apparently allows slightly higher velocities. all I know is it's a great barrel. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wimborne can't be too far from Rimbey. Go pay Ron a visit. I spoke with him on the phone a couple years back. Seems like a very approachable fellow.One of the guys at our local club has one of Ron's stainless gain-twist barrels in 6mm-06 on a LH 700 action.This thing is a shooter;fast,flat and accurate.Has another in 257 Wtby on a LH MarkV for more of the same.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<spock>
posted
Rob MacLennan

General Delivery
Wyebridge, ON
L0K 2E0
[705] 526-2159

Button rifled barrels. They are superb. spock

<dcan>
posted
Have BBL's by Bevan King and they have always shot.

Bevan King 1-250-786-5200
S Access Rd
Pouce Coupe, BC

[This message has been edited by dcan (edited 01-01-2002).]

[This message has been edited by dcan (edited 01-01-2002).]

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Bevan does a good barrel for the money and I have seen my smith put on a lot of Ron Smith's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cain,I have a Ron Smith gain twist in a 300RUM and a standard twist in 25 Gibbs, Both shoot very well and are very easy to clean with minimal fouling. As well I had Ted Gaillard rebarrel a win 70 with his stainless light varmint contour in 223. this is the most accurate rifle i own and the turn around time was LESS THAN TWO MONTHS. Mr. Gaillards prices can not be beat and he does nice work. His Web site is
www.shootingpaul.homestead.com/GAILLARD.html

Posts: 95 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 23 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 of Bevans barrels.They all shoot great. I have 2 of Al petersons also. Als dead but someone said his son Bob was still building barrels . Does anyone know for sure?

Rich

Posts: 227 | Location: West Central Sask | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do any of these barrel makers sell prefit barrels? and do any of them sell 45 or 50 cal barrels?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do any of these barrel makers have prefit barels? do any make 45 or 50 cal barrels?

<dcan>
posted
Bevin can do 50's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used my first Smith barrel in 1978 and have used many since. All have been fine barrels. In fact that one in 78 was used on a winning hunter BR rifle. It was in .308 and the first 5 shot group it fired in testing was a .335. I presently have 4 I am using. 2 gain twist and 2 uniform. If I could afford it I would happily take every barrel he makes! I like them.
I used barrels from Rob McClennan in the early 80s to build some really good varmint class rifles and they shot very well. Well enough that the owner erased the only Canadian records I had at the time. I had heard that he was building few barrels but that info may be out of date (much like myself).
I have only a couple of barrels from Ted Gaillard. The 6mms were as good as any.
A guy by the name of Mick Mcphie in kamloops makes barrels in 30 cal stainless only that are superb. His rifles are cut and are as nicely done as any barrel in the world. Mick is meticulous to a fault and doesn't produce a lot of barrels but each one is his best effort and his best effort is real good. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3548 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote