THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Browning High Power 9x19 mm, converting to 40 S&W, and ammo?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning High Power 9x19 mm, converting to 40 S&W, and ammo?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Excluding a Colt Series 80 stainless Officer's Model 45 ACP I owned many years ago, I have owned no centerfire semiautomatic pistols. I have an opportunity to buy a friend's Browning High Power. What is the procedure to create a Browning High Power 9x19 mm, manufactured circa 2000, to 40 S&W - that is, to be able to freely convert a 9x19 mm receiver to 40 S&W then back to 9x19 mm whenever I want to?

- Are these parts available from Browning without having them be shipped to a local gunsmith or gun shop?

- What are parts necessary for conversion?

- Are 19x19 mm magazines satisfactory for 40 S&W, and vice versa?

- In the universe of magazines for High Powers, which are among the most reliable, the most durable? Does this hold for 9x19 mm AND 40 S&W magazines?

- What gunsmiths specialize in working on these pistols?
Regarding ammunition:
1. What are several 9x19 mm factory ammunitions that combine penetration controlled expansion most efficiently?

2. Among those ammunitions identified in #1, which bullets [used] are also available for reloading?

3. What are several 40 S&W factory ammunitions that combine penetration controlled expansion most efficiently?

4. Among those ammunitions identified in #3, which bullets [used] are also available for reloading?
To reiterate, I know about 45 Colt, 475 Linebaugh, and 480 Ruger revolvers. I know close to zip about semiautomatics. Is [this] High Power, with its non-M1911 extractor (I think they used to have extractors of the same design as M1911s) a reliable machine, particularly with properly made reloaded ammunition?

Does the conversion that began this query make sense - that is, are "better" 40 S&W ammunitions significantly superior to "better" 9x19 mm ammunitions for self defense and/or duty use?

If there are questions I should have asked, but did not, please respond as though I asked.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why do you want to freely convert from 9x19 to 40S&W and back ? I've been a fan of the 40 since it first came out .If I had a 40 I wouldn't want to convert it. The newer 9x19 rounds ,especially +P and +P+ are good performers and good hits are more important than caliber in the 9mm,40,45 acp or 357sig.
The best ammo is the Corbon DPX in any of those and the Barnes bullets used are avaiable.
The Browning was changed at one point to handle the 9mm +P and the 40 reliably.
Other than the 'reduced recoil' ammo any of the 40s work very well for SD .They certainly are impressive on feral dogs and 'chucks especially the DPX.
Pick the ammo that your gun prefers which may not be what you prefer. Look for totally reliable functioning.Magazines are part of the functioning.Don't buy cheap ones. Browning OEM are good .

One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
The conversion to .40 is possible on an existing gun, although you would be better served getting a .40 caliber top end and mags.
Before the .40 was available I had converted a few. I dont mind the work, but the cost exceeds practicality. Slides are available from FAMCO and a barrel is available from several vendors. Your best bet is to find one in .40 as a conversion top end would run between 800 to 1200 dollars depending on sights etc.

Hope that helps a little.

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DO NOT CONVERT BROWNING HI-POWERS BACK AND FORTH. A BASIC 9MM hi power is not built for the stresses and stains involved.

There is even a strong recommendation to only shot mild 9mm loads.

Let it be.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
The slide is the key and it does work on later commercial Hi Powers. The GI/military guns are the ones to be wary of, not circa 2000 and up as stated.
The ammo for standard .40 is Generally lower breachface pressure than .9mm +p and above(which is where the caution comes in.

Lawndart- better the OP get sound advice and options from someone with credentials....

and I generally dont "let it be" until I am done, especially when I am trying to help someone, or when told to by someone other Than my father, and he gave up years ago

Have a great 4TH

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the procedure to create a Browning High Power 9x19 mm, manufactured circa 2000, to 40 S&W - that is, to be able to freely convert a 9x19 mm receiver to 40 S&W then back to 9x19 mm whenever I want to?

Surely, if you must do it, this is just exactly what the defunct .41 Action Express will accomplish with just a barrel change?

If I wanted a High Power in .40 S & W I think I'd buy one that was already made in that calibre.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
as stated, do able.....not practical. The .41 was for all intents and purposes a .40 before the .40 was around.

Age is telling when we discuss any AE cartridges. Smiler

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
If you want a .40 buy a .40. If you don't want a 9, than don't buy the Browning.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote